OH, another Western Epic and CFR 2022

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
huron52
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Re: OH, another Western Epic and CFR 2022

Post by huron52 »

Cav47 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:07 pm
fontanaman wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:41 pm
raYzerman wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:23 am Interesting day planned...... we leave Moscow and head west to Pullman, too early for beer bottle tossing at relatives. We were headed down WA195 towards Lewiston, saw lots of wheat and canola, and more of that funny pavement. Most (cars) would follow Hwy 95 around and down into Lewiston, but I had a better idea... the Old Spiral Highway.... the turn kinda sneaks up on you, so you have to 'want' to go this way. Hoping Jim will check this out next time he's down this way.

The view is quite good, you're up in elevation overlooking the big city of Lewiston/Clarkston in the distance, the Snake River and upstream (south) an hour or so is the Rattlesnake Grade.... the Clearwater River comes from mountains to the east. So the Old Spiral Highway has very good pavement, some expensive homes and on the southern part are some larger businesses (trucking companies, including a Kenworth dealer). We took a leisurely stroll and the views on the way down. My pics can't capture it all. If you look closely you'll see about 5 sections with hairpin curves.

I have been on the Old Spiral Hwy a few times. On days when it is warm to hot I skip it as there are lots of unavoidable nasty tar snakes.

You got a good photo there Ray. There are not too many days with clear blue skies. The elevation drop is about 2000' and dropping down there is the summer can be quite warm or if coming back up as I was last week it went from 95 to 87 or so. I was happy to get out of the blast furnace.
Jim, you took me there and the Tar Snakes were anacondas. Completely awful for sure that day. It messed with the ride, but did not ruin the scenery and experience. I will always be thankful for that guided tour.

When rode on that road it was a warm day the the tar snakes were bad. Ray did you happened to ride the road (129 & 3) that runs south out of town to Enterprise OR.
wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Tom, see report 8-9 days earlier on the Rattlesnake Grade.....

wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
ice station zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008

Post by ice station zebra »

Fantastic trip and great ride report. Hope the knee heals soon!
wheatonFJR loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

That was good. And epic journey you will remember always. I haven't seen any of this yet. I hope to remedy this next year.

Best wishes on your knee.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

A most excellent report! Really enjoyed the pictures and narration. Makes me want to hit the road tomorrow.

"I don't know quite how to describe Elk City, it's rather rustic. The pavement ends and turns to gravel, I suppose some dual sports could explore further...."

Well that's what we did 2 years ago on three 650's. Our fearless leader Fontanaman lead us from Darby, Mt to Elk Creek via Nez-Perce pass and the Magruder Corridor back country roads. Great ride on a dual sport!
El Toro Joe, raYzerman, and wheatonFJR loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

My buddy Dean had also been chronicling his spin on the trip in a blog format called Polarsteps..... should any of you wish to have yet another angle on the trip and see some extra pitchurs.
It was a great trip, and for me, I just don't know if I'll do something out there that extensive any time soon... hopefully there's another one. Glad you enjoyed it, hope it gave you some tidbits to include in your own adventure.
https://www.polarsteps.com/DeanPerkins/ ... 3a4ff4f0b7
LKLD, escapefjrtist, Cav47 and 2 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.