What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by wheatonFJR »

^^^^
What a beautiful bike!
boatanchor, 3rd class.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:28 am ^^^^
What a beautiful bike!
Indeed it was.

Same trip - 2007 - Pikes Peak before it was paved all the way up - road closed due to snow just shy of the summit. The ride up was easy; everything was frozen. The ride down was hairy. The sun had thawed the top layer, so there were sections of slimy mud on top of still frozen ground that made for some white knuckle panic moments...

wheatonFJR and Niehart loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

extrememarine wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:38 am
What a beautiful bike!
Indeed it was.

Same trip - 2007 - Pikes Peak before it was paved all the way up - road closed due to snow just shy of the summit. The ride up was easy; everything was frozen. The ride down was hairy. The sun had thawed the top layer, so there were sections of slimy mud on top of still frozen ground that made for some white knuckle panic moments...

YIKES!!

That's when you are WISHING for gravel. Had a similar experience on wet clay in 2013 - in Colorado at the beginning of a 2-up trip. I had visions of leg bone breaks and the trip coming to a premature end until I finally got down off that mountain ridge.
FJRPittsburgh loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

What a beautiful bike!
Right?!
wheatonFJR loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
D.F.I.U.N.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

PhilJet09 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:16 pm Local bike shop came through for me (and Partzilla failed miserably) so I was able to rebuild my water pump tonight. Gonna let the ThreeBond 1215 cure for 24 hours, fill the coolant system, do a TBS and leak check. With any luck, I’ll be riding it to Savannah this weekend.
I have been a long time Partzilla customer but my business is going to Motosport.com. Motosport's web site indicates if the part is actually in stock. Partzilla simply says ships in 3-4 days but it is not accurate - it is just a guess. If you need to talk to someone at Partzilla get ready for a 1 hour wait on the phone. Motosport had better prices on the part I recently bought too by 13% and answered the phone quickly.
bigjohnsd, Hppants, FJRPittsburgh and 3 others loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Post by PhilJet09 »

fontanaman wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:30 pm
PhilJet09 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:16 pm Local bike shop came through for me (and Partzilla failed miserably) so I was able to rebuild my water pump tonight. Gonna let the ThreeBond 1215 cure for 24 hours, fill the coolant system, do a TBS and leak check. With any luck, I’ll be riding it to Savannah this weekend.
I have been a long time Partzilla customer but my business is going to Motosport.com. Motosport's web site indicates if the part is actually in stock. Partzilla simply says ships in 3-4 days but it is not accurate - it is just a guess. If you need to talk to someone at Partzilla get ready for a 1 hour wait on the phone. Motosport had better prices on the part I recently bought too by 13% and answered the phone quickly.
Yep, my experience with them this time around has been terrible. The only reason I ordered from them was because the parts I needed were listed as “in stock”. Some of the other parts did indeed say 2-4 days or even longer, but the stuff I needed actually said “in stock”. 4 days after I placed the order, I checked it’s status on their website only to discovery most of my stuff wouldn’t be available for a couple more days, while a few were going to be at least another week. WTH? As you said, long phone delay, so I used the “live chat” and was able to explain that I really needed all but a couple things I ordered by the 9th, otherwise I’d have to cancel my trip. No problem, we’ll ship your partial order as soon as they come in and get it to you by then. A couple days go by and I get an email update on my order saying that the oil seal and circlip wouldn’t ship until the 12th. Kinda need that oil seal. Tried to call after lunch that day only to get an automated message saying they have stopped taking calls that day due to the “high volume of calls”. Same thing the next day.

Fortunately, as soon as I found out that their “in stock” was BS, I called Honda East here in T-town and explained to their parts guy my predicament. Initially I just wanted him to order me a complete gen3 pump, but he said there was only one available in the whole country and the chance of actually getting it was questionable, so I had him order the parts needed to rebuild it. I got them Wednesday. Fast, easy and actually a couple dollars cheaper than Partzilla. I’ll be using them more often.
Niehart, fontanaman, and FJRPittsburgh loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Burnt a half tank of gas today just roaming around.

Canola Fields in the Palouse of SE Washington. I was looking to add the FJR but there was no safe place to pull over.

I went up to Steptoe Butte today. The geology is very interesting.

The roads never cease to entertain.

Today I found a road I had never been on before, the Glenn Hollow Road outside of Colfax Washington. It was quite fun with ups and downs, twisties and featured pine trees and vegetation not usually found in the wheatfields of the Palouse.

Maybe tomorrow the FJR gets a bath.
Last edited by fontanaman on Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hppants, gixxerjasen, Full House and 3 others loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Turned it into launch position for a ride tomorrow with 2 excons from VA, and other degenerates from SC and GA. We will dodge rain and HDs in WNC and TN. Leaving at 0'Dark-thirty.
bigjohnsd and Niehart loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Getting together with long, LONG time friends in about 10 days so I've slowly started the preps. I took a few days off on either side so here we go! https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv6nhy26k9wqp ... 2.png?dl=0

1 night in Manteo, NC. There's a lighthouse there to visit that I never knew about.

1 night in St Michaels, MD. Eclectic little touristy town, planning to visit the Chesapeake Maritime Museum and a lighthouse there. Plus Delmarva seafood!

Off the way to Germantown, MD for a long weekend of sights, cards and vodka. I'll stop to see Turkey Point and Concord Point lighthouses.

After Germantown, heading west to Point Pleasant, WV. Remember the movie The Mothman Prophesies? This is that place. Then home.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
So if anyone wants to meet for a cuppajoe or dinner or to ride along some, lemme know!
wheatonFJR, Hppants, gixxerjasen and 1 others loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

fontanaman wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:24 pm Burnt a half tank of gas today just roaming around.

Canola Fields in the Palouse of SE Washington. I was looking to add the FJR but there was no safe place to pull over.

I went up to Steptoe Butte today.

Today I found a road I had never been on before, the Glenn Hollow Road outside of Colton Washington. It was quite fun with ups and downs, twisties and featured pine trees and vegetation not usually found in the wheatfields of the Palouse.
As I have mentioned before, I make little notes of the rides you do, hoping to find little gems for the next time I'm out there. Just so you know, after I left Nakusp, I rode through those same canola fields in the Palouse area. There was wheat and barley too, not sure I took any pics, it was a tad windy.
bigjohnsd, wheatonFJR, and fontanaman loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:45 am
fontanaman wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:24 pm Burnt a half tank of gas today just roaming around.

I went up to Steptoe Butte today.

Today I found a road I had never been on before, the Glenn Hollow Road outside of C̶o̶l̶t̶o̶n̶ Colfax Washington. It was quite fun with ups and downs, twisties and featured pine trees and vegetation not usually found in the wheatfields of the Palouse.
As I have mentioned before, I make little notes of the rides you do, hoping to find little gems for the next time I'm out there. Just so you know, after I left Nakusp, I rode through those same canola fields in the Palouse area. There was wheat and barley too, not sure I took any pics, it was a tad windy.
Thanks Ray. Please note I corrected the name of the town. It can be a bit windy here in Spokane. I like the roads out here but wish the pavement was a bit smoother. I need a bike with more compliant suspension, likely something with more suspension travel, to soak up the full range of pavement irregularities. The FJR suspension was working OT yesterday. :D
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Yes, I was a little disappointed in the smoothness of the roads in that area, but we had a mission...... I'll get a ride report together once I get organized.....
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:58 pm Turned it into launch position for a ride tomorrow with 2 excons from VA, and other degenerates from SC and GA. We will dodge rain and HDs in WNC and TN. Leaving at 0'Dark-thirty.
Rode the hell out it.
Hppants, Viper_Dad, and Festus loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Patched a tire, in the rain.

Oh,yeah, might have rode the hell out of it too 😁
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Post by 1911 »

Rode the hell out of it
Hppants, wheatonFJR, Viper_Dad and 1 others loved this
Viper_Dad
FJRModel: 2013

Post by Viper_Dad »

Saw an armadillo. Rode the hell out of it (my bike, not the armadillo)
2013 - "Jolene"
Peter
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Yes, Wheaton and 1911, he made me find the armadillo and prove it.

Armadillos in NC, who knew?
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

fontanaman wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:08 pm I like the roads out here but wish the pavement was a bit smoother. I need a bike with more compliant suspension, likely something with more suspension travel, to soak up the full range of pavement irregularities. The FJR suspension was working OT yesterday. :D
I have a solution for you Jim - but Wheaton won't like it, JSNS
fontanaman loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X3, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Post by SkooterG »

Rode the shit out of it.

In Switzerland.

:finger:

BikerGeek, Festus, escapefjrtist and 7 others loved this
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR (X2) -- '09 FJR (X2) -- '13 FJR (X3) -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES -- '23 FJR ES -- '14 BMW GSA What can I say? I have issues!
mcatrophy
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300AS

Post by mcatrophy »

SkooterG wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:43 am Rode the shit out of it.

In Switzerland.
Just don't get caught doing that, the Swiss mete out severe punishment for minor motoring offences.
mcatrophy
2018 FJR1300AS - AE in the USA, if only they could have one :o .
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonnevill '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site