What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by wheatonFJR »

1911 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:40 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:28 pm
1911 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:07 pm Just barely into VA but I guess it would count

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing
So how many miles is that? 450?, 550? If so, that's doable! Remember, long daylight!
Basecamp says the whole route is 408 miles 11:37. Shortcut back from SV makes breakfast to Cowpens Battlefield 348/10:23.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

What do we have for daylight? 21 hours or so? Oh! Wait a minute. That's probably those guys on the Alaska run :D
Full Monty it is! I love VA 58!

...Then I'm goin to a SQ Dance afterwards with Louanne...if it's STILL goin on. :oops:

EDIT: I just loaded the route in my GPS and the 413 mile route only says 8:18. We have time for more! :lol: :lol:
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

So one of the aftermarket LED's quit working on the Root Beer, right side low beam.... all others OK..... leaving it alone, after all the Versys only uses one headlight all the time and both of us have lower fork lights.......
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Walked by it and took the VTX1800 to work. I have a girl in my department that had a bad break up with her Harley boyfriend last Summer. To show him she didn't need him to be on a bike she bought a brand new Indian Scout. She had back surgery and couldn't do the riding portion of the cycle training class, but did take part in the classroom instruction part, and did past the written test at Sec of State. So she needs to pass the live riding portion of the test to get her full license. I am meeting her at the testing parking lot at lunch where they have all the tests/lines/boxes painted out. She wants to see how I do it and then she wants to practice it on her bike. The turn angle of both my VTX and her Indian kind of suck. When I took this test in 1983 my dad brought up my Honda 250XL. They told me to do a figure 8 as tight as I can without putting my feet down. Looks like it's substantially more challenging now.
bill lumberg and wheatonFJR loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

D-Eagle wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:08 amWalked by it and took the VTX1800 to work. I have a girl in my department that bought a brand new Indian Scout. She had back surgery and couldn't do the riding portion of the cycle training class, but did take part in the classroom instruction part, and did past the written test at Sec of State. So she needs to pass the live riding portion of the test to get her full license. I am meeting her at the testing parking lot at lunch where they have all the tests/lines/boxes painted out. She wants to see how I do it and then she wants to practice it on her bike. The turn angle of both my VTX and her Indian kind of suck. When I took this test in 1983 my dad brought up my Honda 250XL.
D-Eagle,

For the riding test, a lighter and more nimble bike is definitely a good idea, especially after back surgery.
May be a better choice after the test, too. Give her time to heal, and regain her strength there.
Beg, rent, or borrow the right bike from somebody, for the moment. A 250cc or smaller should do the trick.
wheatonFJR loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
D-Eagle
Veteran
2003 Honda VTX1800

Post by D-Eagle »

She had the surgery last August. She's riding the Indian now and practicing. She's been pretty good about going to empty parking lots and practicing low speed turns and stopping. I agree, a smaller bike would be better, but she seems pretty set on doing it on her bike. I'll know after lunch how challenging this really is. She seems to really be interested in learning to ride the right way. Took the class, and studies a lot of youtube videos. She asks me and others a lot of questions. She's pretty into it but understands how dangerous it is. My only concern is her previous experience with bikes has been with Harley guys and their no helmet no sleeve wardrobe. So far she seems to be wearing a helmet and leather jacket, but it hasn't been hot yet either.
wheatonFJR and BikerGeek loved this
D-Eagle
Veteran
2003 Honda VTX1800

Post by D-Eagle »

Ok, we're back. That test is no joke. The "immediate right turn and then turn around in a box" thing I bet a ton of people fail. She said when watching people get tested in her class a lot of people dropped the bike and failed on that test. I did it, but it is a TIGHT turn. She would have passed all the other ones, but cannot get thru the right turn. She even dropped her new bike once. If she drives up to it she can make the turn. But starting about 5 feet from it like you have to she can't do it. She's close. Agree a lighter bike would be much better, but then they make you turn around in a smaller box. Overall I'm surprised how hard it was. I bet a lot of people fail that.
bill lumberg loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

D-Eagle wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:16 pm Ok, we're back. That test is no joke. The "immediate right turn and then turn around in a box" thing I bet a ton of people fail. She said when watching people get tested in her class a lot of people dropped the bike and failed on that test. I did it, but it is a TIGHT turn. She would have passed all the other ones, but cannot get thru the right turn. She even dropped her new bike once. If she drives up to it she can make the turn. But starting about 5 feet from it like you have to she can't do it. She's close. Agree a lighter bike would be much better, but then they make you turn around in a smaller box. Overall I'm surprised how hard it was. I bet a lot of people fail that.
In 1977, all I had to do was make a proper u-turn from a stop with my brand new 1977 CB550F on a 2-lane neighborhood road adjacent to the Drivers Licensing Facility in Aurora, IL. Much wider radius I bet!

Good luck to her!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

The test here is an absolute joke.

She stands near the front door under the shade of the patio. Tells me to go to the end of the parking lot, exit the lot left, then ride to the cul-de-sac (200 feet away), turn around, and come back. 2 minutes later - "what's next, boss?"

"that's it. Let's go print your license."
FJRPittsburgh, wheatonFJR, and D-Eagle loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Took a couple of short rides on my local loop again to check my adjustments. Made a couple more changes and basically I think that's about it feels pretty good. I'm gonna live with the rear shock for a little longer and see how it goes. :)
FJRPittsburgh loved this
Pappy 09AE
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Rode it the long way to Helen, Ga. Blood Mountain and Richard Russell Raceway may have been involved. Just dropped gear at the hotel.
Hppants, danh600, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:17 pm Rode it the long way to Helen, Ga. Blood Mountain and Richard Russell Raceway may have been involved. Just dropped gear at the hotel.
Wifey needs to roll video...
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Today at CFR I went for a ride to Kaslo. It was a wonderful ride along very scenic road in the mountains.

Took some photos. A couple stand out.

It is a great to be in Canada again riding around on the FJR in the Canadian Rockies. Life is good.
escapefjrtist, Niehart, BikerGeek and 7 others loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Jim - you've got some excellent calendar material already just 1/2 way into the year.
wheatonFJR, fontanaman, and PhilJet09 loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Hppants wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:45 am Jim - you've got some excellent calendar material already just 1/2 way into the year.
Thanks Pants. Let's just say I was calendar fishing yesterday at CFO. 😁
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:01 pm
1911 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:40 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:28 pm

So how many miles is that? 450?, 550? If so, that's doable! Remember, long daylight!
Basecamp says the whole route is 408 miles 11:37. Shortcut back from SV makes breakfast to Cowpens Battlefield 348/10:23.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

What do we have for daylight? 21 hours or so? Oh! Wait a minute. That's probably those guys on the Alaska run :D
Full Monty it is! I love VA 58!

...Then I'm goin to a SQ Dance afterwards with Louanne...if it's STILL goin on. :oops:

EDIT: I just loaded the route in my GPS and the 413 mile route only says 8:18. We have time for more! :lol: :lol:
It was a perfect riding day today, 445miles for me, 520 for 1911. Awesome stuff, legendary. 10 minutes after I got home I got changed and left with Louanne for a two hour SQ Dance. The ride was adrenaline rush after rush also filled with scenes of bucolic beauty.
Niehart, Spininprop, Hppants and 4 others loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

We have been in the mountains this weekend, departing late this morning for home. I got to watch an hourlong homoerotic pageant this morning.

A group of riders of motorcycles from another manufacturer spent an inordinate amount of time discussing bylaws, adjusting leather vests, debating whether they were a club or a heritage group, patch placement,etc. etc.

After about an hour of flirting and preparation, they fired up their steeds. Much stationary revving ensued. Then, they departed.

If I ride a mile in one direction or the other, they’ll have stopped already, for one reason or another. Maybe one day I’ll be tough enough to be a legend in my own movie. One day…
Niehart, Hppants, BikerGeek and 3 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I pushed the FJR out of the shop Friday to make room to work on the DR. This morning, having realized that I hadn't ridden it in about 3 months, I put on the gear and fired her up. She kicked off immediately. I taxied out the neighborhood slowly, and when I got to the highway, I turned left and let it rip. I ran to a curvy road just 5 miles away that has some nice sweepers. And I ripped them proper - about 80 mph heading out, turned around 10 miles later, and about 90 plus coming back. I get to the end, turn right and now I've got about 1.5 miles of straight, smooth, uninterrupted pavement. And it's 8:30 am on a Sunday morning. 8-)

Squid is as squid does. I shut it down at an indicated 127 mph, with PLENTY more left. Good balance on this set of RS3s. Smooth as a baby's arse....

Took it easy for the last 10 miles home. So it was about 30 miles for the day. No carbon on my piston tops, I guarantee!
Niehart, FastPappy, HotRodZilla and 1 others loved this

danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

bill lumberg wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:13 am We have been in the mountains this weekend, departing late this morning for home. I got to watch an hourlong homoerotic pageant this morning.

A group of riders of motorcycles from another manufacturer spent an inordinate amount of time discussing bylaws, adjusting leather vests, debating whether they were a club or a heritage group, patch placement,etc. etc.

After about an hour of flirting and preparation, they fired up their steeds. Much stationary revving ensued. Then, they departed.

If I ride a mile in one direction or the other, they’ll have stopped already, for one reason or another. Maybe one day I’ll be tough enough to be a legend in my own movie. One day…
That my friend is a goat roping.

You better have a good excuse for leaving later than them. :D
HotRodZilla and wheatonFJR loved this
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Rode it for an hour. I've been off it for so long, I think I'm going to have to take a MSF class just to learn how to ride again.
N4HHE, D-Eagle, and wheatonFJR loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

The past two days I enjoyed the Icefields Parkway in Alberta Canada. Took about 200 photos just playing around. Blue skies with the temps between 60-70°. Amazing place. I am on sensory overload.

Here is a photo.

I think a ride report is in the near future.

Oh today there was several mountain goats, two black bears, a grizzly bear with a cub and moose.
Full House, Niehart, 1911 and 4 others loved this