Amazing news regarding our friend Jim Parsons, RIP #321

This subforum will contain memorial posts and memories of those members who have departed but live on in the stories shared here.
Forum rules
This subforum is listed in the public area - no log in is required to view; please keep that in mind when posting here.
Fjrbandit
FJRModel: 2008

Amazing news regarding our friend Jim Parsons, RIP #321

Post by Fjrbandit »

Those of you that are regular SFO attendees will remember our great friend, Jim Parsons, who died in a motorcycle racing accident this past September. We honored Jim at SFO 2021 this year by dedicating Friday's night's gathering in his honor. That evening I told those in attendance that he had made a special contribution to the world by way of organ donation. What I could not tell everyone at the time was that his body was used in a major experiment in a first-ever pig to human kidney transplant. The transplant study was performed at the University of Alabama in Birmingham (UAB) the last week of September, the week following his demise. UAB announced the results of the transplant study earlier this morning at a press conference in Birmingham. The story has instantly gained worldwide attention.

Here's a link to the story in the New York Times today, with Jim's picture of him next to his beloved XR650 at the top of Flag Mountain, Colorado in early September 2021, where he told his sons, prophetically, that he wanted them to spread his ashes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/20/heal ... idney.html

Here's a link to the New York Post story in the event you can't get into the NY Times link -

https://nypost.com/2022/01/20/pig-to-hu ... -donation/

And here is a more detailed story of the transplant process, published by UAB at a press conference this morning. Embedded in the article is a video interview with his kids talking about their wonderful father. Man, it's moving stuff for me, I hope it is for you too!

https://www.uab.edu/news/campus/item/12 ... dead-human

He was a very giving person in life and now in death he leaves a legacy of giving that even he could never have imagined. I couldn't be more proud of my brother from another mother, James (Jim) Parsons, RIP #321!
Kornbread, 0face, FJRPittsburgh and 13 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: Amazing news regarding our friend Jim Parsons, RIP #321

Post by wheatonFJR »

Wow. Thanks for sharing that.

RIP Jim.
(Tears of reminder)
Fjrbandit loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 15ES

Post by CraigRegs »

Not ashamed to say I shed tears reading that. What an indescribably generous action by Jim's family. Humbled to have met him. RIP and may your memory live on forever, Jim.
Fjrbandit loved this
Craig
----------------
...the Pursuit of Happiness
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

RIP and thank you Jim!
I had watched a news blurb about the pig heart transplant the week before. Amazing stuff.
Fjrbandit loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Apparently some dust in my eye here as well. You read about people like that and can't help but feel inferior at life. What a human being he must have been. My loss for never meeting him. I'm not sure I even know any people like that!

Happy that his legacy lives on in his kids. I'm sure with a father with that type of character, surely they'll be outstanding humans as well.
Last edited by Festus on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fjrbandit and raYzerman loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

Never met him, sounds like a great guy. I've had several non-FJR folks tell me their stories about him.
Fjrbandit loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

They should make everyone who benefits from this type of transplant, upon leaving the hospital to go and build the biggest damn bonfire they possibly can in celebration.
Fjrbandit, CraigRegs, and wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

This story is absolutely incredible. To have this breakthrough, where kidneys are possibly readily available, could be life saving for 10,000’s, if not millions of people. What a legacy Jim left for his family, and friends, to be incredibly proud of.
Fjrbandit, Festus, and raYzerman loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
natehawk750
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR1300A, 2001 zrx1200r, 2001 XR650R

Post by natehawk750 »

Man, that just hit me in the feels. I considered Jim a friend immediately after we first met... hearing about his passing was a gut punch... literally knocked the wind out of me. I was leaving for Texas for the RAT the next morning and was going over last minute checklists when I heard the news and it was like the breath was taken out of me as I was looking forward to seeing him and hanging around the fire in a few weeks. I contemplated not going the next day, but knew I had to but with a new purpose.

He will be missed and I'm proud to have known him.

Rest easy friend and find the good roads to show us on the other side.
Fjrbandit and Tyler loved this
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Tyler
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 CanAm Spyder ST

Post by Tyler »

CraigRegs wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 pm Not ashamed to say I shed tears reading that. What an indescribably generous action by Jim's family. Humbled to have met him. RIP and may your memory live on forever, Jim.
Well said, my friend, and your sentiments are echoed here.

xoxo
"Spend time with those who make you better." ~Anonymous
Tyler
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 CanAm Spyder ST

Post by Tyler »

Fjrbandit loved this
"Spend time with those who make you better." ~Anonymous
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

I cross posted this over on Two Wheeled Texans. I got this interesting reply in particular.
West Texas GS, post: 1810430, member: 162935 wrote: Jim was a great guy, in more ways than most who never met him would ever know! I registered when I was 15, and coincidentally am now on the transplant waiting list for a kidney transplant!

He will be greatly missed!
Fjrbandit and Intech loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

In my daily surf i stumbled across this.

Thanks Jim, your selfless act has given hope to all the people waiting for organ transplants.

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-clinical ... first-time
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Post by 1911 »

Wow!

I haven’t been hanging out here lately as much as usual. And I hadn’t read this thread.

I didn’t know Jim.

I hope what I post here doesn’t belittle the loss those who did feel.

ABC re-aired the story that Tyler linked on GMA3 today as I was headed out the door for work this afternoon. It caught my attention for a couple reasons. First the dirt bike racing. I love off road racing. It is a BIG FAMILY deal. My girls didn’t ride but I drug them and their mama all over the southeast when I was entering races. Going to the races, and later as a member of a promoting club I got to know and watch families with multiple generations of racers grow up. Part of my club duties for a half dozen years was to follow up on all the ambulance rides and report to the liability insurance provider. Luckily, never a fatality.

Didn’t know this Jim but I sure have known a lot of “Jim’s” and their families. Race families are TIGHT. Generations playing in the woods together beats the teens doing all they can to put distance between themselves and their parents. I’m sure the loss is great and my condolences to those that did know him.

There is another more selfish and comparatively insignificant reason that I and some other folk like me have our ears perk up when stories like this pop up. More on that later.

So, for a couple reasons this story stops me as I’m headed out the door. I’m watching it and am shocked when I recognize the couple on the screen with Jim and his kids.

And that’s how I ended up here after work tonight.

Now for the insignificance that causes some of us to follow these genetically altered pig stories.

One of the genetic modifications on the pigs is to delete the alpha-gal sugar in the pigs that those of us bitten by the Lone Star tick are allergic to.

There may be some baby back ribs in our futures after all :)

And oh yea, hopefully we don’t need them but it could put some heart valves and cancer drugs back in play for us to.

From Wiki:

Alpha-gal is present in the anticancer drug cetuximab, as well as the intravenous fluid replacements Gelofusine and Haemaccel. Blood thinners derived from porcine intestine and replacement heart valves derived from porcine tissue may also contain alpha-gal.[19]
At least one instance of a man with an alpha-gal allergy going into anaphylaxis after receiving a heart valve transplant has been reported.[19] Some researchers have suggested that the alpha-gal in pig's tissue that surgeons use for xenografts might contribute to organ rejection.[24]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha- ... %202002.

Science-and contributions like Jim's-WOW!
Fjrbandit, El Toro Joe, and Cav47 loved this
Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition

Post by Road Runner »

I never met Jim but wish I did. What an amazing thing him and his family have done.
Rest in peace Jim.
Fjrbandit and El Toro Joe loved this
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art