Barkbuster Blizzards

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Barkbuster Blizzards

Post by bill lumberg »

The only cold weather “gap” I have Is my hands. They are high maintenance nowadays. Heated grips and heated gloves aren’t enough to support hours of high speeds in the low to mid 30’s. I survive. I ride anyway. But my hands, mostly my fingers, slowly freeze.

Got home today (after a little over 4 hours at Mach speeds in the 30’s), to find that my barkbuster blizzards had arrived.

Since I already have barkbuster storms, a little guesswork, some minor cursing, and I had the storm hard shells removed and the bones reinstalled with the blizzard covers affixed. Stylish they’re not. But I have high hopes for them.

Gonna check for control interference today. Will find out what they do for the cold in the morning.
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: Barkbuster Blizzards

Post by wheatonFJR »

Aren't the Harley guys gonna throw some words at ya for putting it on the Fat Boy?
bill lumberg loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

bill lumberg wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:37 pmThe only cold weather “gap” I have Is my hands. They are high maintenance nowadays. Heated grips and heated gloves aren’t enough to support hours of high speeds in the low to mid 30’s. I survive. I ride anyway. But my hands, mostly my fingers, slowly freeze.
Got my barkbuster blizzards
Since I already have barkbuster storms, a little guesswork, some minor cursing, and I had the storm hard shells removed and the bones reinstalled with the blizzard covers affixed. Stylish they’re not. But I have high hopes for them.
Bill,

If all else fails, check out the Bar Mitts (from various makers), with and without fur.
Stylish they are not, but they may be better than having cold hands.
bill lumberg loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I have yet another pair of Phenix gloves ordered. But it will be a while. I really wanted to just order a pair of hippo hands. I think they’re really where it’s at. But if these work, they’ll be a little easier to get into. I will know tomorrow.

I’ve got good gear (I’ve got some warmnsafe heated gloves, and they’re really good- but they don’t beat heated glove liners and big winter gloves). But below about 37F, at prolonged speeds of (redacted) or higher, I’m looking for luxury. The regular stuff can’t keep up with the wind stripping heat away. I guess when you’re so comfortable in every other way, you focus on the one icy cold area that could use some help.
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Auburn
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Auburn »

I have the barkbuster blizzards on the wing. Work great
bill lumberg loved this
get out and ride! IBA #54706
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Post by 1911 »

Love my Blizzards. Only nitpick is they tend to not stay in the desired position. That might be aggravated some because I’m using them with throttlemiesters. One little fabbed bracket helped greatly. One of these days I’m going to make a few more pieces to have the perfect set up . Still, as they are, awesome for warm and dry and easy enough on and off that I’ll remove pack away and reinstall as needed on a long trip.
bill lumberg loved this
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Post by PhilJet09 »

I’ve got the Blizzards on the Urinal. I like them, but they are a little fiddly getting them to stay in the right spot.
wheatonFJR loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

They do walk around a bit. Not bad once you get used to it. I have some HH Alcans ordered for comparison.
PhilJet09 and 0face loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES