What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by gixxerjasen »

Got the call from Traxxion that my forks are done and all that's needed to get them shipped back to me is the painful part of paying them. Got that done and then I must have suffered some kind of head trauma, because I'm the guy who never cleans his bike but I decided to go out and clean out the area under the front end that's so hard to clean usually, but easy now with everything removed. I wouldn't eat off of any of those surfaces, but they are cleaner than they've been in a loooong time.

Perhaps I spoke too soon on my last post of not gixxerjasening anything up. When I pulled off the rear wheel to check the bearings, I was sure to avoid that awful feeling of wheeling the big girl onto the sloped driveway and finding no brakes because I didn't seat the pads after removing a wheel. So, yes, I had reached over and pumped up the rear brake pedal. Yup, I forgot about the linked brakes and the entire front end being off. Disaster averted, I didn't push the pistons out, but boy did I about crap my pants when I looked at them and realized what I'd done. This time my attempts to gixxerjasen my bike were averted by pure blind dumb luck.
Niehart loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Nice!! So easy to do DAMHIK but I ain't changing my name.....
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

A few things today:

installed a speedbleeder for the clutch and replaced the fluid. It hadn't been done in a while and needed it. I also cleaned, inspected, & lightly greased the clutch lever and bushing. It was a little "crunchy". And the '13 came with an Admore light bar, which I would have installed, but I disabled the turn signal part of it. With the crispness of the LED turn signal bulbs I installed and the lag in the Admore turn signals, they didn't operate together. They were opposite each other so it was a disco ball confusing mish-mash of blinky yellow lights. Much better this way. And lastly, the light bar is mounted to the bottom of the license plate so the previous owner added a stiffening plate to it to keep the license plate from cracking. It had begun to rust so I removed it, sanded it and engine flat black enameled it. Looks much better.

turn signal bulbs and load resistor post here -> https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/new-t ... st-1309244
fontanaman and gixxerjasen loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

Today was a little more stuff. '13 came with a PR4GT rear tire. Never been a fan of the PR series so I swapped it out the my preferred tire of choice, Michelin Pilot Power 2CT 190-55x17. While there I checked the drive shaft splines and the U-Joint splines for grease. And I clean-n-lubed the side stand pivot. I'm finding the previous owners took very good care of this new-to-me bike.
fontanaman and wheatonFJR loved this
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

rbentnail, what kind of miles do you get out of a 2CT? How do they do in the rain?
danh600 loved this
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Friend bought a Deauville. Found old Metzeler on the front and relatively new “2CT+” on the rear. So I suggested a matching Power 2CT on front not finding any reference to a 2CT+.

Later I saw his rear was a Road 5 2CT+. He had never seen a Road 5 before and didn’t know the 5 was printed as a tiny superscript.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

My tail section reflector fell off. The rectangular red one below the plate. This was undoubtedly due to getting hit earlier this year. Kind of folded that section up against my tire for a minute…. The backer remained, but the plastic reflector part fell off.

The parts fiche didn’t show that reflector. Oddly. I went back and forth on the usual suspect sites until
I found it represented. So I ordered it.

It arrived. It is the proper height and width. But it is yellow, and it is 1mm thicker (the base) on one end than the other. Wonders never cease.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

bill lumberg wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:24 am My tail section reflector fell off. The rectangular red one below the plate. This was undoubtedly due to getting hit earlier this year. Kind of folded that section up against my tire for a minute…. The backer remained, but the plastic reflector part fell off.

The parts fiche didn’t show that reflector. Oddly. I went back and forth on the usual suspect sites until
I found it represented. So I ordered it.

It arrived. It is the proper height and width. But it is yellow, and it is 1mm thicker (the base) on one end than the other. Wonders never cease.
I wonder if that is a reflector for the forks? Normally red for the rear. Not sure about varying thickness - I don't have the fork reflectors on my bike.
Edit: I found the part on the Partzilla fiche - Under "Electrical 2"
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamah ... ectrical-2

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamah ... da068ef286

Is this the part number you received?
Rear Reflector
3Y6-85130-02-00

Edit again: That same part number is used on MANY Yamaha products - a bunch of motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs and scooters.
Last edited by FJRoss on Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
N4HHE loved this
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

bill lumberg wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:24 amMy tail section reflector fell off. The rectangular red one below the plate. This was undoubtedly due to getting hit earlier this year. Kind of folded that section up against my tire for a minute…. The backer remained, but the plastic reflector part fell off. The parts fiche didn’t show that reflector. Oddly. I went back and forth on the usual suspect sites until
I found it represented. So I ordered it. It arrived. It is the proper height and width. But it is yellow, and it is 1mm thicker (the base) on one end than the other. Wonders never cease.
Bill,

Not my issue, but your state (or insurance company) may take dim view of missing/improper reflectors. I'd use any red reflector that was the original size or larger, on the rear. I think your retailer sent you the wrong part. Best wishes.
wheatonFJR loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I ordered another. We will see if they send the right one this time. The yellow one doesn’t match the fork reflectors. I thought that too.

The entire back end of my bike is either illuminated, reflective, or both. That’s why I had no qualms about sticking a yellow reflector in place for the time being. Between the stock LED taillights, the admore light bar, the case reflectors, and the expanse of real-time industries/BHM bag reflectives, the little rectangle
is a mere footnote. :)
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

bill lumberg wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:37 am I ordered another. We will see if they send the right one this time. The yellow one doesn’t match the fork reflectors. I thought that too.

The entire back end of my bike is either illuminated, reflective, or both. That’s why I had no qualms about sticking a yellow reflector in place for the time being. Between the stock LED taillights, the admore light bar, the case reflectors, and the expanse of real-time industries/BHM bag reflectives, the little rectangle
Did the one you received have the part number on it?
(3Y6-85130-02-00)
The back end of mine is similar plus Hyperlites
bill lumberg loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:37 am I ordered another. We will see if they send the right one this time. The yellow one doesn’t match the fork reflectors. I thought that too.

Don’t speak logically with a government bureaucrat. They are trained to look at their checklist and checklist only. :D
Red loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

Powerman wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:32 pm rbentnail, what kind of miles do you get out of a 2CT? How do they do in the rain?
First, let's be quite specific here. I'm using the Pilot POWER 2CT, not any of the Pilot ROAD series 2CT. Michelin uses "2CT" for any tire of any series that is dual compound. You have to know what you're buying to match apples.

Given that, I usually get 7-9K miles out of the rear one.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

There are generic reflectors, even a stick-on kind the same size.... as Ross says, they're used on just about every bike you know but maybe have a little different bezel/mount, or no bezel at all. There's one on each saddlebag, e.g.
N4HHE and bill lumberg loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

When I was at Mt. St. Helens a 3 days ago I took some photos. Just getting around to posting them.

Spirit Lake just below Mt. St. Helens. Logs from trees uprooting in the 1980 eruption are still floating around on the lake.

Shot from the same point as the photo above with the FJR and Mt. St. Helens.

Spirit Lake with floating logs to the right.

The FJR above Spirit Lake.

A little different location with a better perspective.

All the above photos were shot on the at or on the way to Windy Ridge on the NE side of the mountain. This photo was shot from the Johnston Ridge Observatory on the west side.

It was a good day to be on the FJR.
Last edited by fontanaman on Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bungie4, escapefjrtist, wheatonFJR and 3 others loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Big heavy ass box arrived today. I think I can hear the UPS guy cuss me on my Nest doorbell camera.

Cleanest they've been in ages. And look! New stickers! Woohoo! My old ones were wearing off.

Too bad I won't have time to fit them up for a test ride till next weekend. :(

Oh, and the box is on the top of one of my shelves alongside the rear suspension box for the next time I have to ship them. :D
wheatonFJR and fontanaman loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

rbentnail wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:37 pm
Powerman wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:32 pm rbentnail, what kind of miles do you get out of a 2CT? How do they do in the rain?
First, let's be quite specific here. I'm using the Pilot POWER 2CT, not any of the Pilot ROAD series 2CT. Michelin uses "2CT" for any tire of any series that is dual compound. You have to know what you're buying to match apples.

Given that, I usually get 7-9K miles out of the rear one.
I realized I didn't answer the 2nd question. They perform superbly in the wet. This is a prime characteristic for us down here in the southeast with our can-be-daily rains. Scraping pegs in the wet is not at all unusual for me. I start out cautiously then as I re-convince myself to do what I've told many people- trust my tires- things slowly just go back to normal. And you know those guys on an interstate in a hurricane going 80 mph? That's me! My motto is, "Go Faster, Stay Drier."
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

fontanaman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:12 pm When I was at Mt. St. Helens a 3 days ago I took some photos. Just getting around to posting them.

Spirit Lake just below Mt. St. Helens. Logs from trees uprooting in the 1980 eruption are still floating around on the lake.

Shot from the same point as the photo above with the FJR and Mt. St. Helens.

Spirit Lake with floating logs to the right.

The FJR above Spirit Lake.

A little different location with a better perspective.

All the above photos where shot on the at or on the way to Windy Ridge on the NE side of the mountain. This photo was shot from the Johnston Ridge Observatory on the west side.

It was a good day to be on the FJR.
ALL these are effen OUTSTANDING!

Thanks for posting those!
fontanaman loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

raYzerman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:27 pm There are generic reflectors, even a stick-on kind the same size.... as Ross says, they're used on just about every bike you know but maybe have a little different bezel/mount, or no bezel at all. There's one on each saddlebag, e.g.
I had a pile of DOT reflective stickers used for semi trailers. Amber and red, usually applied alternately to create a dashed line. Had the idea to replace the clumsy reflectors on front forks with stickers. And then could no longer find my stash of reflective stickers. Searched Amazon and didn't find anything I liked, and forgot about it until now. 70,000 miles later I still have the OE clumsy reflectors.
bill lumberg loved this
Burnspot
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015ES, 2020 Super Tenere

Post by Burnspot »

Performed an oil change and re-mounted Gary's hydration system; NAFO trip prep. :D
wheatonFJR loved this
Scott
https://burnspot.smugmug.com/
RIP Petey, Jason, and Don...JSNS