What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by danh600 »

Rode my FJR 1219 miles this weekend and another 60 or so yesterday.

Felt nice to go on a real trip.
El Toro Joe, bill lumberg, HotRodZilla and 3 others loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

A couple of days ago I mounted a set of Shinko R009 Ravens a single compound sport touring tire. Total cost $180 for the set including Washington State sales tax. It was 50° out so I used heat to mount the rear tire - went on very well using my NoMar Changer.

Went for a 2.5 hour ride on the Shinko's. Much better than the squared off Pirellis. While I didn't push them the Shinko's did a fine job of tracking in turns. They were not nervous and dropped in the a turn predictably.

If they don't square off, stick in turns and I get 4k miles are my goals for these tires.

Today I washed off the bike, two hours later it rained. I don't expect to ride again until March. Snow is in the forecast this weekend.
Cav47 loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

fontanaman wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:06 pm A couple of days ago I mounted a set of Shinko R009 Ravens a single compound sport touring tire. Total cost $180 for the set including Washington State sales tax. It was 50° out so I used heat to mount the rear tire - went on very well using my NoMar Changer.

Went for a 2.5 hour ride on the Shinko's. Much better than the squared off Pirellis. While I didn't push them the Shinko's did a fine job of tracking in turns. They were not nervous and dropped in the a turn predictably.

If they don't square off, stick in turns and I get 4k miles are my goals for these tires.

Today I washed off the bike, two hours later it rained. I don't expect to ride again until March. Snow is in the forecast this weekend.
You can rail Black Bear Pass while riding two up with those and they stick. ;)
Cav47, fontanaman, and wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

gixxerjasen wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:10 pm
fontanaman wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:06 pm A couple of days ago I mounted a set of Shinko R009 Ravens a single compound sport touring tire. Total cost $180 for the set including Washington State sales tax. It was 50° out so I used heat to mount the rear tire - went on very well using my NoMar Changer.

You can rail Black Bear Pass while riding two up with those and they stick. ;)
Beartooth pass was ridden at a responsible pace 2up. Now, Chief Joseph was somewhat spirited 2up. Grand Mesa coming in to Black Canyon of Gunnison was not maturely nor cautiously piloted in the least. The weather was good, wind was low and we knew what campground we were headed for. No apologies given! Those tires were made to die. Lol

What really did the Shinko rear tire in was the engine braking and double yellow passing in places. Both situations the bike is not leaned over and middle of the tire took a beating. That is where it wore out. Now, my Shinko front was toasted on the sides to the point where some cords were peeking out.

I hope you like the Shinkos. They are a decent bang for the buck.
HotRodZilla loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Mileage CAV.... My Shinko Raven 009 report. 15k kms (~9300 miles). These were brand new on the CBF1000 when I got it, all mileage is mine. Slightly disappointing riding year, more slabbing than I would normally do, so I'd think normally sides would be worn more. However, they wore very evenly relatively speaking. It's a 525 lb. bike that goes where you point it, I had no issues with the tires. Thrashed them at EOM in 2019. Rode in plenty of rain at speed last month in Quebec, but, no slippage, can't say they were tested at big lean angles in the wet. Rather shocked they lasted this long. Front still has 0.100" (2.5mm) tread depth in the middle, more to go. Rear just past the wear bars in the middle, could do another 1000km easy. I suspect this bike is not as hard on tires as an FJR, but that will be proven next year. I decided to put a PR4 on the back as it is one I use to judge all others. Let's see what happens with that long term.
AllenC can likely comment better on Shinkos, dunno which ones he uses, I think they are his go-to tire.

Cav47 loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Shinkos, are they made in Taiwan or Red China?
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

Shinkos, Osaka, Japan engineering and design principles using motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co with South Korean production and quality control standards.
Bugnatr, HotRodZilla, Cav47 and 2 others loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

We tend to think less expensive is not necessarily better.... in this case, altitude change to try them is all you need. Nothing to lose, give us your report. No quality issues I can see.
HotRodZilla and fontanaman loved this
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

The Verge FRONT that I ran was really abused with the last 3 trips. It certainly could have lasted longer, but 80% of its life was spent at EOM, ARKY, and South Dakota. I did not have any grip issues at all. I likey will go back to the Raven after this Angel wears out.

Mine looked horrible on the edges. Boozer and Nate pointed out at a lunch stop that the silver things were the steel belts showing.

I was a little worried about the rear before I left. But it made it through just fine. I did make a conscious effort to not abuse it by driving really hard out of corners or engine braking.
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:07 pm altitude change to try them is all you need.
600' here in dallas. I can get to around 4000' in Amarillo. How high do I need to go? :lol:
Niehart, wheatonFJR, and Hppants loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:07 pm We tend to think less expensive is not necessarily better.... in this case, altitude change to try them is all you need. Nothing to lose, give us your report. No quality issues I can see.
As I change my tires I have a lot less risk trying different tires. At $180 for a set I see more upside than down in this. Say the tire last 6k miles and doesn't square up to badly. Say I like the turn characteristics. I'd get another set and have saved $200 over 12k miles or about 1 year.

If I don't like them I will ride them until they wear out and be out nothing then try something else. It is highly unlikely I would toss em out before they wear out - hard to imagine a tire being that bad. Say I got 3k out of them and toss them, I am only out $90.
Hppants, raYzerman, and Cav47 loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

That's what I have kinda done all along... try different tires, rank them. It's the only way really. I'm always interested in opinions, but opinions/reviews count only so much and your riding style determines what works best for you.
fontanaman loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:02 pm That's what I have kinda done all along... try different tires, rank them.
Same but without the ranking. I just buy what's on sale. I live in Texas, not too many turns to enable me to rank them sadly, so I just ride and hope I don't have to spend the $$$ again for a while. :(
Hppants loved this
My Blog

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

You sound like a Shinko candidate.... give 'em a go.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:50 pm You sound like a Shinko candidate.... give 'em a go.
Cav and I have talked about this several times. At first he didn't understand why I poopoo'd them and thought I liked to blow money. Actually, I'm a super duper cheap analytical bastard. I won't just jump because the price is good. I did a lot of research on the subject and found that compared to, say, PR2's, most folks got about half the mileage out of the Shinko's. With Shinko's being 2/3 the price of PR2's, the $$$ per mile doesn't work out. I'd really like to live somewhere that I cared more about sidewall stickiness than mileage, but it is what it is.
Hppants, Cav47, and HotRodZilla loved this
My Blog

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:19 pm
raYzerman wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:50 pm You sound like a Shinko candidate.... give 'em a go.
Cav and I have talked about this several times. At first he didn't understand why I poopoo'd them and thought I liked to blow money. Actually, I'm a super duper cheap analytical bastard. I won't just jump because the price is good. I did a lot of research on the subject and found that compared to, say, PR2's, most folks got about half the mileage out of the Shinko's. With Shinko's being 2/3 the price of PR2's, the $$$ per mile doesn't work out. I'd really like to live somewhere that I cared more about sidewall stickiness than mileage, but it is what it is.
PR2's are on closeout at Revzilla. Better get them while you can.

PR2's were the mileage champ. The rear would go 10k miles but on my bike were mighty squared off. Front would go 8k. Sigh so it is with the FJR.
Cav47 and gixxerjasen loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

PR2's are harder compounds, thus the higher mileage. Translate, not as sticky when the weather cools down, and be more careful if there's moisture with that. Good tire for the hot climates for sure, but they aren't on my list and hard to find.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Jasen and I fish in the same hole. Cheap Bastard is a term of endearment, but I'm more of a value oriented buyer. I haven't tried the shinko yet, but otherwise, in terms of cost per mile, the RS3 (with the rebate when it is offered) is the better buy.

I just pulled the FJR out of the shop. Today I ride. Where is not known. We'll see.

This semi-retired shit is pretty dam good, ya'll.
HotRodZilla, escapefjrtist, Niehart and 4 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:39 am Good tire for the hot climates for sure
GixxerJasen looks around
Yep, still in Texas. Sigh.
HotRodZilla and Hppants loved this
My Blog

Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

It was last night, but after work (got off at 6:00-That's a bunch of B.S.) Poker game still could be made if I hustled. But I really did not want to go to the game in my school clothes and the weather was good enough for a bike ride.

Go home, whip the clothes off. Broke my own rule about leaving clothes on the bed/floor. (only one reason you should not be putting clothes where they go after removal) Geared up and thumbed the starter. Immediately fired up then died. Fast starter symptom. Opened the gas cap. Could hear an audible swoosh. Closed it up and went through the procedure. Full Throttle and a few cranks; all good except the really loud rev in the garage. Wife was not amused. VERY carefully navigated the acorns on the driveway. Them suckers are dangerous.

Man, jumping on that bike out of the cul-de-sac is sublime. After not riding for a while, it seems to hit so hard up through first and second gear. Mind you, I am not being a hooligan......yet. The bike just reminds me that "I have way more to give if you would like to twist that wrist" After clearing town, it was time to let her loose some. One last place to check for PoPo before it's clear. WHOOOOOOAAAAAAA, Yep, there is the county mountie in his spot. Oh, that was close. The rest of the ride was irresponsible and cavalier, borderline squid but I loved all 22 minutes of it.

Got to the game and had a good time. Recovered from a few bad plays and beats to win $17 dollars. LOL Big Money. At 10:00 when the game was over, I took the long way through town to avoid the deer by the lake and rolled in just before 11pm. Not common to have temps in the low 60s in November at that time of night.

Soon I will be putting the bike into a slumber until an opportunity arises. But for the next 3 days, I am gonna be riding and enjoying what there is left.
HotRodZilla, Hppants, wheatonFJR and 3 others loved this