GixxerJasen goes to California, and other places...

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Re: GixxerJasen goes to California, and other places...

Post by Festus »

Redfish wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:52 am I am sure you know this already, you are incredibly fortunate...you rode through Yosemite NP, arguably the most beautiful national park in the U.S. with Craig and Tyler. Tyler knows every place you need to stop, every place you need to take a pic, she knows how fast or slow you need to go, she is the Perfect Tour Guide. And we all know what a great guy Craig is, simply a superb gentleman.

Good Things are supposed to happen to Good People. The three of you certainly are Good People.

I was also fortunate, we had a much bigger crew but all excellent FJR folks. The ride is often defined by who we share it with and Pop, Joey and myself were blessed with our day in Yosemite. I am happy you were too.
What the hell is happening here, Redfish is saying nice things about people. I'm so confused.
Tyler, CraigRegs, Niehart and 2 others loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

He’s obviously caught up on his sleep AND had his Snickers bar.

Looking forward to seeing the continuing segments of the RR. This is a good one!
Redfish loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

Festus wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:02 am What the hell is happening here, Redfish is saying nice things about people. I'm so confused.
I am Sorry. I have been having a rough time down here. I have spent a lot of time riding my chain saws and very little time on my bikes. I am seeing too many people in too bad of a bind for me to help them all. I can only cut and drag so many trees, I can only look at so much devastation, I am running out of emotional capacity. My Pop's camp on Bayou Lafourche in Leeville is just...gone. It was so solid that it took the pilings with it but it is now just a memory along with everything that was inside it.

At times like this I fall back on the love I have for my Friends. Jasen, Tyler, Craig and so, so many others on this forum are Friends to me.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail this Excellent RR. Jasen was actually the first FJR Forum person I ever met. I am truly in need of his uplifting report right now. Just like when I read my very first Gixxerjasen RR all those years ago I found myself wishing I could ride those roads and see those sights with him. We need more Gixxerjasen RRs.
Hppants, danh600, Bugnatr and 5 others loved this
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Dang Redfish, at first it sounded like you all were spared pretty much but every time I hear from you it sounds like you've discovered more. That sucks about Pop's camp.

Since you want uplifting, I'll do my best to continue on to the end of this report.
raYzerman, Full House, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Day 10
Friday, September 3, 2021
Distance: 173.5 miles
Duration: 7 hours, 0 minutes, and 53 seconds
Average Speed: 24.7 mph
Minimum Elevation: 5643 feet
Maximum Elevation: 8391 feet

Today we set out on a group ride led by Tyler. We are riding what she described as a "Lake Loop" which will take us around the local area to several scenic lakes.

We head back south through Lee Vining again where we stop to top off our tanks and I get the biggest sticker shock of the trip.

We turn onto 120 headed toward Benton. I've been warned by Doug (Bugnatr on FJRiders) that this road is mostly straight but has some fun roller coaster hill sections. I take some time on straight flat bits with a good view of the road ahead to pull up next to the various riders in our group and film them riding with the GoPro. Just as I do this with Tyler leading the group we hit the first roller coaster sections. I zip ahead and wick up the speed a little and am yelling "Wheeee" inside my helmet.

I let some other riders come by and slip back behind Tyler just as we hit a big one with a steep drop on the other side of the crest. We come over the top fast enough that the drop causes my stomach to drop and spin. Crazy feeling to do that on a motorcycle but lots of fun.

We stop just outside of Benton and while stopped Tyler pulls me aside and lets me know that one of the riders, Robert, will be headed back out and I should follow him if I want to ride a little "Zippy."

We head back out 120 the way we came in and Robert leads on his Super Tenere through the fun curves just outside of Benton and we are having some fun. Then he turns south on Benton Crossing Rd and we are zipping along.

At one point I look far ahead and see one of the largest and most well formed dust devils spinning along the left side of the road. I've seen a lot of these in Texas but this one is easily 3X the largest one I've ever seen. We are zipping along toward it and it's got a lot of dirt in it that it looks pretty amazing. At the last second it moves right into the road ahead of Robert. I watch as Robert punches through it and it's about to be my turn. Because of the spinning wind it's like getting slapped from one side and then immediately slapped from the other side as I go through it. It was a pretty crazy surreal experience and I had the GoPro running for the whole thing!

Robert pulls off at an intersection up ahead so we can wait on the other riders and we are talking about the dust devil. I take off the GoPro and something is wrong. It's locked up on me. I pull the battery out and put it back in and it powers up. There's zero media from the entire morning. No video of the other riders, no video of the roller coaster and especially no video of riding through the dust devil. I'm crushed over this, but at least the GoPro is functioning again.

Here's me and Robert waiting on the other riders to show up.

After the riders show up, we reform back into one group and head out.

Tyler takes us around some barricades to Convict Lake. The smoke is blowing our way today and has made a lot of the scenic views today either obscured or very hazy. This lake is supposed to be a beautiful clear view but the haze makes it look kind of gloomy.

We sit and chat for a bit and then we are back on the road, which you can see here how the smoke obscures the views of the distant mountains.

We ran up the road and into Mammoth Lakes where we stopped at Roberto's Cafe and had lunch out on the patio. I had Chicken Taquitos and some pink lemonade.

After lunch we ran up and hit 158 to pass June Lake, Silver Lake and Grant Lake.

We stopped by this boat rental area to view the lake and enjoy the wildlife. There were some friendly ducks there and about 6 deer came walking through the parking lot while we were there.

More tall tales being told in the parking lot.

After that we headed back to Virginia Creek Settlement for a relaxing evening before dinner. We ate at the on site restaurant where I had this crazy huge incredible meatball sandwich. I had to use a fork and knife to eat it, the thing was so huge and messy it was impossible to eat as a sandwich.

Then it was off to bed to get ready for the last day of YFO riding and the banquet tomorrow.
Tyler, Bugnatr, Burnspot and 3 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Redfish wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:36 pm
Festus wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:02 am What the hell is happening here, Redfish is saying nice things about people. I'm so confused.
I am Sorry. I have been having a rough time down here. I have spent a lot of time riding my chain saws and very little time on my bikes. I am seeing too many people in too bad of a bind for me to help them all. I can only cut and drag so many trees, I can only look at so much devastation, I am running out of emotional capacity. My Pop's camp on Bayou Lafourche in Leeville is just...gone. It was so solid that it took the pilings with it but it is now just a memory along with everything that was inside it.

At times like this I fall back on the love I have for my Friends. Jasen, Tyler, Craig and so, so many others on this forum are Friends to me.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail this Excellent RR. Jasen was actually the first FJR Forum person I ever met. I am truly in need of his uplifting report right now. Just like when I read my very first Gixxerjasen RR all those years ago I found myself wishing I could ride those roads and see those sights with him. We need more Gixxerjasen RRs.
I feel for you and your family and friends. I'm sure it's not easy and you're tired of it all. You know I was just poking fun at you.

Jasen is posting up one epic ride report, that's for sure. I drool over the images (except for his selfies). I can't help but wonder how the heck I'm going to get out there one day.
Last edited by Festus on Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheatonFJR, gixxerjasen, and Redfish loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Day 11
Saturday, September 4, 2021
Distance: 115.1 miles
Duration: 6 hours, 34 minutes, and 23 seconds
Average Speed: 17.5 mph
Minimum Elevation: 6448 feet
Maximum Elevation: 9195 feet

Today would be another day of flexibility. Craig and I had plans to do more walking than riding today. We plan to hit the Bodie State Park and the Bodie Ghost town, then head into Bridgeport and walk around as there's some interesting things to see there. We decide that since the morning temperatures are in the thirties, we'll have a lazy morning and hang out for a bit and let the sun come up and warm things up a bit.

After a light breakfast and coffee I head back to the wagon to get suited up and ready. As I pull back up to the front Craig has a concerned look on his face. He comes over and tells me that he just got a call and he has to leave ASAP as he has a family member critically ill at home. This is a bummer because instead of Craig getting to go riding and hang out with friends at the evening banquet, he'll be making miles for home with a whole lot of worry to deal with on his own.

One of the other folks there invites me to ride with them, they are headed down to Mammoth Spring HD was doing a demo day to allow test rides of the all new HD Pan America. That sounds like fun but I tell them to head on down and don't wait for me, I'll catch up as I'm going to help Craig get going. Craig tells me he needs ice in his cooler and needs to be checked out at the front office. I head up to get this taken care of, which means I actually stood around waiting while our amazing waitress did all the work. I made sure to let the owner know later how after explaining what Craig needed, that she sprung into action and did so much to help Craig get going faster and with less worry.

On getting Craig on the road, I saddled up and pointed south to see if I could catch up with them. I figured an HD demo event would be at a dealership. On arriving in Mammoth Spring I find there's no motorcycle dealerships really, just this oddball motorcycle shop in a warehouse district that sells dirt bikes. I roll in there figuring if there's something big going on with motorcycles in town that they'd know.

I'll say, these folks at Mammoth Cycle Works were so friendly and helpful, even knowing full well I wasn't there to buy anything or have service done. They had no idea where the HD event was and were kind of surprised they hadn't heard about it. They were on the computers doing some searching and we found the event but it just listed the town as the location. They offered to let me stay as long as I wanted using their wifi, but as it was nearing lunch time I just asked them to point me in the direction of a good local place to eat.

The guy tells me to go to Burgers. I'm like "That's the name? Burgers?" He says "Yes, get the burger and they give you a lot of fries so ask for half fries half salad." Ok, sounds like a plan, so I head into downtown following the GPS and am soon parked at Burgers restaurant. I head to the upstairs dining room as it has a nice view of the main street of downtown and the waitress gets me seated and points out their daily special, the pulled pork sandwich plate for $10. Now, I haven't found inexpensive food since I've been in California and this sounds like a really good deal, especially since it's usually $17. So I ask if I can do the half fries half salad with that and she confirms I can so my order is placed. Man what a good lunch that was.

After lunch I head up the road to the Mammoth Mountain ski resort and keep going on a fun twisty road until I reach a barricade telling me I can go no further so I turn around and head back. I catch the Mammoth scenic loop back to 395 and am intent on reriding yesterday's loop back around June Lake, Silver Lake and Grant Lake.

At June Lake Junction, right at 395 and 158, is what used to be a gas station, but is now a small shop and a grill/ice cream station. The Joey sweet tooth hits me hard when I see their banner for milkshakes. I try to order a Chocloate Malt but they are all out of malt so I settle for a Mint Chocolate Chip shake instead.

Back on the road, it's a good day. The winds have shifted and the haze from yesterday has moved elsewhere. My lungs and eyeballs are happy the smoke has moved on.

The ride around the lakes is beautiful, but the traffic for the holiday weekend has moved into the area and I'm forced to make a couple of double yellow passes around some painfully slow moving RV's.

I get another opportunity to photograph the boat house without all the background haze, what a beautiful little location this is.

Like many of the lakes, Grant Lake is looking a little low.

I finally head back through Lee Vining and top off with that expensive gas to be ready for my departure in the morning. Passing by Mono Lake again.

I get back and have a relaxing afternoon getting the bike packed back up and ready for the morning. This is technically the last night of the adventure before pointing the bike for home. I have a long three days ahead of me but it'll feel good to be moving back toward my family as this is my longest trip away from them and as much fun as I'm having and all the wonderful things I'm seeing, I'm definitely quite a bit homesick.

The evening is a lot of fun hanging out with friends new and old, the banquet is delicious and I once again got too caught up in the conversation to take a photo, but you'll have to trust me on the details. Then it's time for one last sleep under the heat of the electric blanket inside the cold wagon, a blissful way to sleep for sure.
Hppants, Tyler, danh600 and 6 others loved this
My Blog

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Day 12
Sunday, September 5, 2021
Distance: 584.6 miles
Duration: 10 hours, 40 minutes, and 56 seconds
Average Speed: 54.7 mph
Minimum Elevation: -250 feet
Maximum Elevation: 8134 feet

It's Sunday, and that's head for home day. You might think this trip is over, but I know that the slog home is usually the worst part if you are just trying to make miles and get home. I have three days to get home so I've decided to make this a part of the trip and have some things to see on the way home.

First up is Death Valley. I'm not so excited about it but it's on the way, let's see it, get the stickers and magnets, and cross it off the list.

The problem here is weather. True to it's name, it gets pretty hot in Death Valley, so I'd like to hit it as early as possible. However, that means shoving off early in the morning when it's still hovering just above freezing. I make a plan to start off right before the sun will come over the mountains so I'll only have to freeze for a little while before the sun starts to warm me up.

It's a beautiful morning and while I can't see the sun yet, I can see it lighting up the tops of the mountains. I'm certainly in for a spectacular sunrise on the road.

It warms up to around 50, then drops back down, then back up, then back down. I see 34F at the coldest point of the morning.

I might be slabbing it south, but the Eastern side of the Sierra Nevada Range sure does make it a scenic slab.

Before turning East toward Death Valley, I stop in the last town and top off the gas tank, have a bio break, and remove all my warm layers as it's now gotten quite nice, and I know what's ahead.

You wouldn't think there'd be twisties out here but the road does twist and turn as the elevation plunges ever lower. I'm headed toward one of the lowest points in the United States.

Somewhere around here I descend to below the altitude of my home.

We go up and twist a little before heading back down down down.

The road descends below sea level and that's when I learn that the Garmin Zumo XT will display negative numbers for altitude. I film quite a bit here trying to find my lowest point. Eventually I get down to 250 feet below sea level. If you head to Badwater Basin, which I did not, you can go down to 282 feet below sea level, the lowest point in the United States.

I realized somewhere that it's 10am and it's already over 100F here. This is a place to visit in the winter so I do not linger, I stop at the visitors center and buy my sticker and magnet, then give the camelbak a much needed refill and get back on the road.

The hope is that I can climb out of Death Valley and into more tolerable temperatures. The joke is on me and my optimistic self.

I stop off at Rubalcaba's Taco Shop in Pahrump, NV for lunch, a little hole in the wall behind the local Walmart. I do this right after filling up with some finally sane gas prices here in Nevada. Lunch is delicious.

I have plans to swing through Red Rock Canyon on my approach to Las Vegas. The temperatures are around 105F and I've seen Red Rock Canyon before. Even though it only supposedly adds 12 minutes to my route, that's 12 minutes I'd rather not spend in the heat, so I skip it.

Before that I'm passing through Las Vegas again. Only the road doesn't really pass right through the city, it dumps you onto surface streets that you have to navigate to get to get back up to 215.

I've got Hoover Dam set in my GPS as the next location. As I approach, there's a little exit to the "Robert L Mendenhall Scenic Overlook" so I take it. There's not a lot of parking spots and they are all occupied. I wait a bit for a couple to get into their terribly parked truck and finally figure out how reverse works and get out of the spot. I grab my camera gear and trudge up to the scenic overlook and find, the worst scenic overlook of my trip. It's an overlook of the highway I've been riding on!

I exit the highway and take the twisty 2.5 mile road toward the dam. As I round a corner I see a horrific sight in front of me. I can see about a half to a full mile of standstill traffic trying to get through the security checkpoint to get into the dam. I can see once in there that there's a lot of walking and climbing of stairs that I'll have to do in full gear carrying my tankbag and helmet again. Sweat is pouring off me as I come to a stop noting that my thermometer on the dash says 109F. I look at the not moving traffic and decide this is something to come back and see in a vehicle with air conditioning. As soon as there's a break in traffic I flip and U and get back on the highway. That's two things scratched off the itinerary today that I'd planned on seeing, but it's just too hot.

Eventually I see 110F today, which is a long way from the 34F I experienced this morning.

Moving into Arizona I'm tracking south of the Grand Canyon area, which I'd tracked north of on my way west. The views are quite nice here.

It's still freaking hot though. I stop at a gas station to fill up my gas tank and my camelbak. As I get back to my bike with a camelbak full of ice and water, an older guy gets out of the truck next to me and we have the following dialogue.

Him: Hunnertanate.
Me: Pardon?
Him: It's a hunnert and ate degrees.
Me: Oh yes, that's what my dash has been telling me too. {Duh captain obvious}
Him: Stay haadrated, this shitell kell yea!
Me: Yes, thank you, got my camelbak full of ice water

Eventually I climb in altitude, and things get greener and I rejoice at 91F temperatures.

At this temperature the mesh on my jacket does it's job and allows my sweat to evaporate in the dry Arizona air and provide some cooling effects, which is better than the earlier part of my day. I spent about 5 straight hours in triple digit temperatures.

I've spent so many miles on this trip all over on roads lined with the yellow flowers seen above. It's definitely a theme for the trip.

I've been sucking down the water for a while and now that things have cooled off I have to stop and use the restroom, shortly after using the restroom at the last stop. I'm definitely hydrated. Only this is a mistake as I'm dumped into one of the old Route 66 towns. As I gear back up from my stop I get to hear the family having a screaming fight in the car next to me as teenager girl thinks she's being mistreated. I hop back on the road only to find out there's no entrance ramp to the interstate for another 12 miles, so I cruise along reading the recreationis of the old burmashave ads along the old Route 66.

Eventually I roll in and check into my room at the Red Roof Inn+ in Williams Arizona. I'd originally had my heart set on camping in the Flagstaff area because I heard it was beautiful (It is) but there was a slight problem with that plan. See, it's Labor Day weekend and I'm within an hour of one of the biggest tourist spots in the USA, the Sout Rim of the Grand Canyon. Every campground is requiring a three night stay because they know they can fill up even with that requirement. I find a local KOA that'll rent me a single night, but it would cost me $50. Red Roof Inn will rent me a room for the night for $55 so it was an easy decision when I was making my reservations.

Williams Arizona is another of those Route 66 towns, but one that is definitely located well to continue to prosper as other towns have long since died off. I walk down the main street enjoying the old Route 66 vibe and swing in for dinner at the Station 66 Italian Bistro. There's a long wait but since I'm by myself I'm let right in. I have the lasagna with garlic bread for dinner.

Later, back at my hotel, I hear all kinds of commotion and booming outside. I step out and am treated to what is apparently a Labor Day fireworks show. Also, man, that's a lot of bugs I have to wash off when I get home.

Hppants, Tyler, escapefjrtist and 8 others loved this
My Blog

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Day 13
Monday, September 6, 2021
Distance: 554.9 miles
Duration: 9 hours, 31 minutes, and 37 seconds
Average Speed: 58.3 mph
Minimum Elevation: 4051 feet
Maximum Elevation: 7321 feet

Today I'm running from one old Route 66 town to another. I've got my sights set on Tucumcari NM.

I ride off into the sunrise, yay! Not.

Apparently there's an early morning smudgie/bug on my camera lens that takes me waaaaaay too long to notice. Apologies, I'll try to stage my captures so it messes up the image as little as possible.

My route destination today is fairly early on. As I depart my hotel I'm still not sure if I'm going to take the time to check it out after my day of heat yesterday. However, I spent yesterday evening looking at the weather predictions for my route and it seems like today will se a comfortable 95F for the high temperature of the day. I can definitely handle that. So, I make the decision to hit my morning destination and swing through the Petrified Forest National Park, thus bagging my fifth National Park of the trip. Stickers and magnets are of course purchased at the visitors center.

Side note. At the Grand Canyon I presented my Veteran's ID to get in and was given the military park pass.

The guy at the Grand Canyon informed me that I'd just have to present this to get into the parks. However, the lady at the gate of Sequoia National Park read me the riot act about how I'm to present this AND my photo ID. I offered to get out my photo ID and she said it was fine and sent me on my way. I showed both this and my ID at Yosemite but they were more concerned with seeing my reservation pass to make sure I had that. Death Valley didn't have anyone to check, but instead had a vending booth that sold the access tickets, which irked me because I had to pay for that one. Oh well, if I only had to pay for one, that's not bad for all the enjoyment I got. It occurred to me riding off that maybe instead of putting my credit card in the machine that maybe it would have accepted my pass. Oh well. The best though was the guy at Petrified Forest. I handed him my pass and ID and he didn't even look at them, just handed them right back as soon as they touched his hands, and then being super friendly he engaged in a conversation with me about motorcycles. Crazy.

Petrified forest is a nice little ride through with some stops to check out. I should have stopped at the Crystal Forest but I was well past it when I realized what it was.

Once again, I'm walking back to my bike and am struck by the beauty of the old girl who is wrapping up the adventure with me.

Crossing back over I-40 with just a little more to see before exiting the park.

Then, I know it's going to be a boring day after this so I start messing with putting the GoPro in other locations, specifically on the Ram Ball on my brake reservoir.

Hey, it's me!

Still me, trying to figure out which way I have to go apparently. This also gives a good view of the chin mount that I usually have the GoPro attached to.

Trying to capture a sideways view of the passing scenery and the oncoming train.

Not the greatest view.

Making sure I stay hydrated.

GoPro back on my chin, taking in the dwindling nice scenery as I continue to head East, knowing sooner or later I'll be back in the area of the country that is flat, hot, and boring.

And then I come to Albuquerque. I stop just prior at a truck stop and have some of whatever fast food restaurant is inside. The food is not memorable and there wasn't a reason for a photo.

I'm quite surprised. I've been told that posting your spotwalla link on the forum and then passing through this city is a guaranteed way to find yourself pulled over by local law enforcement. I manage to zip through unscathed though.

For a long while I watch a column of black smoke in the distance. Most of the time it's off to my left, however, as I approach I see the road curve to the left and realize that there's trouble on my side of the highway.

Everyone is on their brakes headed for the left shoulder, me included. Well, all except that semi truck you see in my mirror that came blasting up on my right before he woke up and realized what was going on and hit the brakes pulling over and right behind me.

yep, somebody is having a bad day.

As I roll past it, I realize it looks like it started in the engine compartment and is burning it's way back, but hasn't reached the gas tank yet. That makes me quite nervious and feeling exposed as I roll by.

But I'm on my way and I end my day stopping into my favorite little motel in the world, the Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari NM.

https://blueswallowmotel.com/

It's changed owners but the new owner is just as friendly and helpful, and very proud of his little establishment. As he walked me to my room I started laughing and told him that this was my third or fourth time staying in this room. He was blow away that I've been there before, let alone that many times. I pointed out the one other room I stayed in my first time there and we got a good chuckle that I and my family have been in the same room ever since.

I unloaded the bike, then headed down the street to gas up for the morning, and to the grocery store for a six pack of Shiner to enjoy this evening. Then I walked down the street to Del's Restaurant.

https://www.delsrestaurant.com/

My meal is delicious.

Then it's back to the motel for a few beers as I enjoy the usual show of the fully restored neon lights from the old Route 66 era powered by the original restored power transformer. I've taken more photos before but I snap a few anyway.

This guy rolled in so I had to walk over and chat and take a few photos. He tells me it's all for show, and that he's in a hearse club and tells me about some of the other fully functional vehicles in the club.

Oddly, tonight the mosquitoes are pretty bad. They are biting despite me applying the spray that's been working for me the entire trip. I decide that I've seen the neon before and head inside a little early so I can get a head start in the morning. I'm close to the time zone line to enter Central Time Zone in the morning so I plan on a really early start so I can be home before my son gets off the school bus.
Tyler, Bugnatr, Burnspot and 3 others loved this
My Blog

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Day 14
Tuesday, September 7, 2021
Distance: 501.8 miles
Duration: 7 hours, 6 minutes, and 49 seconds
Average Speed: 70.5 mph
Minimum Elevation: 378 feet
Maximum Elevation: 4241 feet

Today is get home day. My alarm goes off at 5am and the bike is already packed so all I have to do is suit up and hit the road. Not much to do in the early morning hours except watch the fascinating synchronized red flashing lights on all the windmills.

More windmills on the horizon as the sun starts to light up the sky.

Riding through Amarillo, one more day of riding into the sunrise before turning a little away as I take 287 to the Southeast. The bugs sparkle beautifully in the sun. LOL.

More windmills as the sun makes it's full presence in the sky.

After that it was a pretty unremarkable ride across terrain that I know all too well. Not much to photo or film. I did get threatened with thunderstorms at one point and was enjoying using the weather radar on the GPS but the storm had rolled through by the time I got there so all I got was sprinkles from the sky and spray from the semi trucks around me.

I rolled back through Dallas in full battle mode to deal with our traffic. I rolled into the house and was greeted by my wife and my previously angry and depressed, and now super excited dog. I got cleaned up and fresh clothes and was able to surprise my sone when he got home from school thinking I'd be home about dinner time.

A great trip in the books, the trip I've dreamed about since buying the FJR and have had to experience vicariously through the ride reports of others in the past. This time it was my turn and it was so worth it.

My FJR is fifteen years old and almost ready to hit 100k miles. She took me to see my parents in Florida earlier in the summer and now has taken me to California and back. What a treasure Yamaha has developed in this fantastic motorcycle.

Two days later I cleaned up the FJR and put on two of stickers I purchased (Forgot to grab a few stickers when getting magnets, oops) on the top box to go with the others from previous trips.

Suitable stickers to remind me of the amazing things I've seen on this trip.

Now, time to start planning for next year...
Hppants, Tyler, danh600 and 10 others loved this
My Blog

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Clap. Clap.
Thunderous applause!!!!!

Thanks Jason. Top notch!!
Festus, Redfish, and gixxerjasen loved this
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Your Forks are forgiven/forgotten - excellent report!

Top three for certain!!!
Redfish and gixxerjasen loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

What forks?

I don't rank reports, because they are all worthy efforts...but this is a good one! 5-10 years down the road, you will be glad to have put forth the effort required...as this report will bring you right back to a great experience.
bigjohnsd and gixxerjasen loved this
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:34 am What forks?

I don't rank reports, because they are all worthy efforts...but this is a good one! 5-10 years down the road, you will be glad to have put forth the effort required...as this report will bring you right back to a great experience.
I wholeheartedly agree with my friend on this one. It's not fair to rank Ride Reports. Of course we all have our own favorites and both Gixxerjasen and Wheaton have posted some of my all time favorites.

This one was great. I have to say it was almost more fun reading the Gixxerjasen RRs of old because the FJR folks were all larger than life, they were all unknown to me and were part of an elite group that I so wanted to join. Now that I know most of the folks he mentioned some of the mystery is gone. But the Goodness was still there.

I sincerely hope that everything is all right with Craig. Has anyone heard from him since his abrupt departure?
BkerChuck loved this
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Redfish wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:02 pm I wholeheartedly agree with my friend on this one. It's not fair to rank Ride Reports. Of course we all have our own favorites and both Gixxerjasen and Wheaton have posted some of my all time favorites.
Yours certainly rank up there. Not because you are a fantastic writer, you aren't. Not because you are a fantastic photographer, you aren't. Not because you live an amazing adventure, you don't. Yours are great because they are the story of Pops, nuf said. ;)
Redfish wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:02 pm I sincerely hope that everything is all right with Craig. Has anyone heard from him since his abrupt departure?
I have spoken to Craig. He made it home safely. It is not for me to comment on the rest of things here, but suffice to say, he's doing alright.
Hppants, wheatonFJR, and Redfish loved this
My Blog

CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 15ES

Post by CraigRegs »

Redfish wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:02 pm

I sincerely hope that everything is all right with Craig. Has anyone heard from him since his abrupt departure?
An update to fill in the blanks: The call I received was from my wife regarding her mother. She'd been in ICU for about 45 days following heart surgery, but showed some signs of improvement prior to my leaving on this trip, so my wife said to go ahead and go. My MIL took a turn on Saturday morning, so I headed home, getting to Evanston WY for the night, then leaving Sunday morning for the last leg home to Des Moines. I got a call about two hours from home that she had passed. My wife, her sis, and their dad were with her. I couldn't have been anyway due to COVID protocols.

Many thanks to Jasen for the seemingly small tasks he helped with that made a big difference in my ability to leave quickly. And thanks to all who were aware of the situation and reached out with kind words. I'm glad to count all of you among my friends.

Now back to a stellar ride report.

(Quoting fixed. Thanks Wheatie.)
Last edited by CraigRegs on Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugnatr, Redfish, and gixxerjasen loved this
Craig
----------------
...the Pursuit of Happiness
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

CraigRegs wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:04 am
Redfish wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:02 pm I sincerely hope that everything is all right with Craig. Has anyone heard from him since his abrupt departure?
An update to fill in the blanks: The call I received was from my wife regarding her mother. She'd been in ICU for about 45 days following heart surgery, but showed some signs of improvement prior to my leaving on this trip, so my wife said to go ahead and go. My MIL took a turn on Saturday morning, so I headed home, getting to Evanston WY for the night, then leaving Sunday morning for the last leg home to Des Moines. I got a call about two hours from home that she had passed. My wife, her sis, and their dad were with her. I couldn't have been anyway due to COVID protocols.

Many thanks to Jasen for the seemingly small tasks he helped with that made a big difference in my ability to leave quickly. And thanks to all who were aware of the situation and reached out with kind words. I'm glad to count all of you among my friends.

Now back to a stellar ride report.
Just edited Craig's post to attribute posts to the proper individuals for clarity.

Craig, I'm sure I speak for many others in wishing you and your family condolences in this loss.

The fact that gixxerjasen is a good man and helped you out in your time of need, speaks well of him.
raYzerman, Redfish, CraigRegs and 2 others loved this
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

That was a ton of work. Thanks for taking the time to write this report and post all of those pictures!!
wheatonFJR and gixxerjasen loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

bigjohnsd wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:22 pm Your Forks are forgiven/forgotten - excellent report!
I'm quite certain that while they might be forgiven, they certainly are not forgotten. Good seeing you and others out there. Too bad you couldn't get your trifecta in, I hope you are feeling better.
My Blog

BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Awesome report and it just further nudges me towards a westward trip of my own.

I've been blessed enough to have met quite a few of these RR authors over the past few years but there are still some folks here left to shake hands with and Jasen is on that list. I passed a windscreen on to him a couple of years back and think he might still owe me a drink when we meet.
Hppants and Redfish loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866