Spring Start Up

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
ice station zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008

Spring Start Up

Post by ice station zebra »

For the first time in 12 years I couldn't start her up as normal. She's been sitting for four months in a heated garage with stabil and a full tank of ethanol free gas. Yuasa battery less than 12 months old. Couldn't figure it out. Fuel pump was priming. Opened up the air breather to see if a mouse house was in there, and nothing. Covered up the air intake briefly to enrich the mixture(?) and that did nothing. Checked the kill switch and looked for error codes. Nothing. Finally consulted the forum. ...Battery fully charged, leave on the tender, switch on and off 3 times. Switch on again, wide open throttle and bob's your uncle, she roared to life. This was the first winter I stabilzed with stabil. I ususally use seafoam, but a review I saw on Fortnine suggested stabil was better...maybe not? I think on my second tank of gas I'll run through a dose of seafoam thinking maybe the injectors need some attention and go back to seafoam next winter. Now I can look forward to going out for a ride tomorrow!
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Re: Spring Start Up

Post by FJRoss »

Flooded - happens occasionally. (Especially if the last shutdown was without being fully warmed up.) Wide open throttle to start and you might need a boost if the battery is anything less than excellent condition. I don't think it has anything to do with injectors or your choice of stabilizer. I have had this happen a few times in the spring but it always went eventually.
ice station zebra, FJRPittsburgh, and wheatonFJR loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Re: Spring Start Up

Post by extrememarine »

I've had that same "no start" scenario a couple of times over the years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere