The 2021 Calendar Contest voting is live! Click here to cast your vote

Diagnosing starting trouble, battery?

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Re: Diagnosing starting trouble, battery?

Post by ionbeam » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:57 pm

Snowflake wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:14 pm
OK, call off the dogs, I may have solved it. when comparing the starter today to pictures I took of it prior to disassembly I noticed the center body of the motor was backwards. Figuring that might have something to do with it, I took it apart and reversed it. Put it back together and it spins the other direction! Put it in the bike and now it makes proper noises when I put power to it. Yea!
In an earlier post I said that Russ was a smart guy. Very glad that it's fixed and it wasn't worse to get repaired. Now to reverse payment to Rick's. Revoking Rick's recommendations.

Now, take that FJR out for some foliage rides, color is currently down to the central NH/Mt. Washington area and mid Vermont.

rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A

Post by rbentnail » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:54 pm

Once again, so much for the "experts" doing anything well. I'd damn sure be making my dissatisfaction known, politely but firmly without regard to hurting any feelings.

Snowflake
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2014ES

Post by Snowflake » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:46 pm

Update. Been riding for a few weeks since the starter rebuild and 'adjustment' All is well. Thanks to all who contributed to the discussion. Especially Professor Ionbeam. Of course he caused me to buy a new multimeter, one with a current measurer.
LKLD, Niehart, Road Runner and 1 others loved this