To Bluetooth or not to Bluetooth - that is the question

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Re: To Bluetooth or not to Bluetooth - that is the question

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Hppants wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:59 pm Let me know what the speaker change does for you.
I tried the Plugfones and I don't know that they are for me. I don't think the silicone plugs do as good of a job at blocking out wind noise, but I also had a hard time keeping them in. It seemed like by the time I was ready to take the helmet off, they were just resting in my ear instead of doing what they were supposed to. Plugfones does make a foam version and they say it offers slightly higher protection.

As for sound quality, I could hear the voice of the comms better with the Plugfones, but the music was definitely better with the speakers. But with the speakers, I can't hear the voice on the comms as well. The volume of the headset has to be nearly max, which doesn't help. Still the foam plugs and the HD Sena speakers are my goto solution right now. I'll be doing more research to see if I can find something I like better.
El Toro Joe, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
TimDog!
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X2, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Post by SkooterG »

Wow. I didn't realize this was so complicated. I have been happily (for the most part) using my Sena 20s for many years now. I am using S-Plug earbuds (which I highly recommend) and for me, the sound quality is fine. Especially since I am riding a motorcycle and I don't think any earbud speaker will block out all ambient noise.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR -- '09 FJR -- '13 FJR -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES - What can I say? I have issues!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Blah blah blah blah, earplugs.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
goodman4
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2007 FJR1300, 2007 GL1800, 2019 MT10

Post by goodman4 »

On my recent trip the wife and I tried the Alpine Motosafe earplugs for the first time and I recommend them. They are supposed to block less ambient noise like talking and music, but block wind noise. This guy's review convinced me to try them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LIrQS_FZbA .
I think they do a better job than anything I've tried.

Normally I have been using the Howard Leight foam plugs and have gotten really happy with those. I ordered a bag of them for this recent SW trip. I normally put in the plugphones when I want to listen to music or audiobooks on the long Interstate days. We can mostly hear each other over our Sena 20s with either those or the foam plugs but I can't hear any audiobook through them. We struggle hearing each other at Interstate speeds with either plugphones or foam plugs most days.

We tried the Alpine Motosafe and never opened any of the new foam plugs. We were able to turn down our Sena volume with the Alpine and the noise decrease was similar to the foam plugs. It was really noticable on the freeway where we were able to hear in 30-50 mph crosswinds in NM at 75 mph. Not great, of course, but it was a huge difference. I tried listening to Audiobooks and was able to use the Sena for a sampling of a couple books but the recent Steven King book I'm listening to had a quiet reader so I had to switch to the plugphones to hear him clearly. I used to brag on the plugphones until this trip and now I'm spoiled because they hurt my ears so much more than the Alpine. Tammy didn't listen any because she said they hurt her ears so much more.

The only negative is you have to push them in with the little black tool and I agree with reviews where people say they don't work well if you just stick them in by hand. The tour kit comes with two and we switched off between the red (sport) and black (tour). The black is supposed to be a little less db reduction, but I couldn't tell a big difference. I wear the red now.

If I lost them, I'd buy another set immediately.
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X2, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Post by SkooterG »

I can't recommend the S-Plugs highly enough. I have yet to find one person who has tried these go to another brand.

https://www.plugup.com/best_and_most_co ... .5-4.5.htm
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR -- '09 FJR -- '13 FJR -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES - What can I say? I have issues!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

goodman4 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:23 pm On my recent trip the wife and I tried the Alpine Motosafe earplugs for the first time and I recommend them. They are supposed to block less ambient noise like talking and music, but block wind noise. This guy's review convinced me to try them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LIrQS_FZbA .
I think they do a better job than anything I've tried.

Normally I have been using the Howard Leight foam plugs and have gotten really happy with those. I ordered a bag of them for this recent SW trip. I normally put in the plugphones when I want to listen to music or audiobooks on the long Interstate days. We can mostly hear each other over our Sena 20s with either those or the foam plugs but I can't hear any audiobook through them. We struggle hearing each other at Interstate speeds with either plugphones or foam plugs most days.

We tried the Alpine Motosafe and never opened any of the new foam plugs. We were able to turn down our Sena volume with the Alpine and the noise decrease was similar to the foam plugs. It was really noticable on the freeway where we were able to hear in 30-50 mph crosswinds in NM at 75 mph. Not great, of course, but it was a huge difference. I tried listening to Audiobooks and was able to use the Sena for a sampling of a couple books but the recent Steven King book I'm listening to had a quiet reader so I had to switch to the plugphones to hear him clearly. I used to brag on the plugphones until this trip and now I'm spoiled because they hurt my ears so much more than the Alpine. Tammy didn't listen any because she said they hurt her ears so much more.

The only negative is you have to push them in with the little black tool and I agree with reviews where people say they don't work well if you just stick them in by hand. The tour kit comes with two and we switched off between the red (sport) and black (tour). The black is supposed to be a little less db reduction, but I couldn't tell a big difference. I wear the red now.

If I lost them, I'd buy another set immediately.
Had not heard of these prior to this thread - thanks for the review.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

SkooterG wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:48 pm I can't recommend the S-Plugs highly enough. I have yet to find one person who has tried these go to another brand.

https://www.plugup.com/best_and_most_co ... .5-4.5.htm
I have a friend with those and I've tried them. About the same comfort and fit and sound quality as the Shure 215s, but twice the price. A no go for me.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I have some Alpines on the way..... I like the material they're made of..... not silicone. Should be more comfy... I hope. If this works, saves me from fiddling with cords of earbuds, etc... thanks for the review, goodman!!
goodman4 loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Update on the Alpines..... I could not get the regular ones so opted for the MusicSafe, which have filters..... 19 and 22 db. The MotoSafe ones are 27.
In the past I have used foam earplugs of mid-20'sdb, as 30+db foam plugs block too much for my liking.

I haven't given them more than a 1 hour test, and I did try both filters....... I played music from my phone, which isn't as high a volume as the Zumo XT's mp3 player..... didn't test that as I had a connectivity issue with the Zumo.

The earplugs themselves are a very soft material (not silicone apparently), instantly comfortable and I imagine so all day long. Best so far for comfort. If you don't need music, then the MotoSafe ones would be the way to go. The MusicSafe block most of the harmful windnoise type noises and still let music through. With the phone, I could use more volume..... I tried switching filters with minimal real difference between the two...... again the ride wasn't long enough and I didn't get to test the other music source.

Speakers in the helmet are the Torx Pro. Better sound quality than the standard Sena speakers, but it takes a bit more to drive them also.... volume level is not a lot more or marginally more than the Sena speakers.
Hppants loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

I BT to molded ear buds. I can hear BT connect, lose connection, and connect again more than a few times on a trip. If you don't mind the tweedles and occasional drops in connectivity vs a cord, then sure.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Ray - thanks for that feedback. My in helmet speakers are also Torx Pro. I think I'll try a pair of moto and music safe plugs.
raYzerman loved this

Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

So I just got the FiiO BTR5 2021.

Now for the music.
My old scheme was FLAC files on my PC. Saved them on mirrored HD's. Power supply took out both HD's and everything in the case. I thought I was covered. Hate to think how much time I spent ripping my CD's.
Now to save them by downloading on SD card on android phone. I have Spotify that I stream to listen at work. The phone goes 384khz, the BTR5 goes 348k in USB and 68K on blue tooth. So Spotify downloads can go up to 320k. If start with 320K does it up/down convert? MQA and LDAC are apps that convert at the download? My head hurts.

I'm old enough that mobile sound was an 8 track, a cassette deck and a Ford LTD AM/FM stereo duct taped together in my 57 Dodge truck.
CraigRegs, gixxerjasen, Hppants and 1 others loved this