Help please: Kick stand height. Can anyone measure for me?

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
BruinFJRguy
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 A

Help please: Kick stand height. Can anyone measure for me?

Post by BruinFJRguy »

Hi guys,

Would anyone be so kind as to measure the vertical height from the ground of your sidestand foot and the jimmy to raise the stand with your foot?

My foot is just about 4" off the ground, vertical, and to the ball of the stem to kick up the stand it is about 7.25" to the middle of the ball.

I'm trying to figure out if I have some sort of after market stand. It looks stock, but I'm sure it has the bike at more of an angle. I realized when I got my 2013 home that I have Soupy's lowering links installed. They were set to 200 mm instead of the stock 190 mm, which had my bike lowered about an inch. I also have a foot on my stand, which helps raise the bike a bit now that I have re-shortened the links to stock height thereby re-raising the tail to factory.

Sidebar, I think I need a replacement kickstand, but when I do I'll likely have a set of Soupy's links and a shortened kickstand for sale for someone that wants to lower their rear (insert innuendo now). :D
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Re: Help please: Kick stand height. Can anyone measure for me?

Post by Red »

BruinFJRguy wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:57 pm Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out if I have some sort of after market stand. It looks stock, but I'm sure it has the bike at more of an angle. I realized when I got my 2013 home that I have Soupy's lowering links installed.
BruinFJRguy,

Most lowered FJRs have a too-long sidestand. Some people (like me) have the foot cut off and re-welded to make it right. Some people grind away at the sidestand stop. That's fine, if done correctly, but sometimes they go too far with the grinder, letting the sidestand swing 'way too far forward, trying to "shorten" it. If the sidestand stop has been ground too far, then you probably have a stock sidestand, and a new OEM sidestand won't fix the "leaning bike" problem. If the stop has been ground away too far, you can build up the stop action with a bolt, or some minor welding, so the sidestand stops at the right angle for your bike.

Alternately, if the sidestand stop is original, then the sidestand has probably been shortened too much and re-welded. Then a new sidestand will give you the opposite problem, a bike that falls to the non-sidestand (right) side too easily. If the sidestand is just too short now, you can add a thicker foot to the sidestand, to get the bike at a nice angle when on the sidestand. You could bolt up a metal assembly or even use wood/epoxy to make the bottom plate thicker, just check that the sidestand folds up and deploys as it should, with no interference from the thicker foot. Once you paint it all black, nobody will even notice it. HTH.
Last edited by Red on Wed May 06, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
BruinFJRguy
Casual Rider

Post by BruinFJRguy »

Ooh, I didn't even think of that. I'll do some more investigation. If I get a whole new bracket that would work? At a glance, looks like undoing engine mounts is necessary if I do that, though.

I'd still be interested in the measurements in the meantime, if anyone has the time to throw their (stock) bike on the centerstand and put a tape to it.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

To replace the entire side stand, you have to remove the left footpeg stay, while in there lube up the shifter linkages... engine mounts are different than the side stand mount, but obviously there are some good fasteners there for good reason. It ain't that hard.... you'll need a #50 Torx though.
I hadn't thought of the possible ground down side stand stop, good one Red.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

2015 ES, stock, PR4GT tires, standard sidewall height
suspension set to ONE, FIRM
the side stand pivot point has a hex head bolt
from the ground straight up to the center of the hex head 8.0"
from the very tip of the side stand, right along the length of the sidestand to the center of the hex head 11.0"
BruinFJRguy, wheatonFJR, and Cav47 loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

For consistency, recommend measuring while bike is on the centerstand.
Uncle Hud loved this
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

raYzerman wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:45 am For consistency, recommend measuring while bike is on the centerstand.
from the very tip of the side stand, right along the length of the sidestand to the center of the hex head 11.0"
Doesn't change between sidestand and centerstand ;) :mrgreen:
wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

True, but takes out any differences in angle if the stop has been ground or sidestand bent slightly or sloppy in the pivot area if the "clevis" has been spread (as I have seen on some, had to re-squeeze to eliminate play).
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

raYzerman wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:18 am True, but takes out any differences in angle if the stop has been ground or sidestand bent slightly or sloppy in the pivot area if the "clevis" has been spread (as I have seen on some, had to re-squeeze to eliminate play).
It's the first, easiest thing to check and it's also the first suspect in this investigation. If it's not equal to 11.0" the hunt is over. If it is equal to 11.0" it's time to look at the stop being ground down, or checking to see if the sidestand is straight or bowed like it was heated and bent.
wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I think I will just keep Alan on speed dial if I need anything trouble-shooted. Or just plain shooted.
Bounce loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
BruinFJRguy
Casual Rider

Post by BruinFJRguy »

Looks like I'm 8" from straight down at the ground to bottom of hex bolt, and 11" straight along the length. No evidence of grinding or spacing. It does appear more bent than what I see in pics of my last bike. I'm puzzled.

The bike seems to stand OK on the side stand, but it still had me puzzled.

I have the pictures here (cant upload elsewhere right now): https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZFFnQDYpje59EiC27
Last edited by BruinFJRguy on Thu May 07, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

BruinFJRguy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:59 pmNo evidence of grinding or spacing. It does appear more bent than what I see in pics of my last bike. I'm puzzled. The bike seems to stand OK on the side stand, but it still had me puzzled.
BruinFJRguy,

Sorry, but my bike has been lowered (Kouba Links), and the sidestand was custom-cut and re-welded, so any measurements that I could provide would not help you. Otherwise, I would gladly provide measurements.

Since the sidestand foot has a larger plate installed already, it seems like a very simple job to put the right thickness of material under the existing foot plate, to get the "lean angle" that you want for the bike on the sidestand. Draw around the plate's outline on that material, and cut/fit to make the new foot-bottom match, only being thicker, and using some slightly longer bolts. Any big-box home improvements store should have the new nuts and bolts needed there. Paint it black. Easy-peasey.
8-)
BruinFJRguy loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
BruinFJRguy
Casual Rider

Post by BruinFJRguy »

That's a good idea, Red. I think that's what I'll do.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

BruinFJRguy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:59 pm Looks like I'm 8" from straight down at the ground to bottom of hex bolt, and 11" straight along the length. No evidence of grinding or spacing. It does appear more bent than what I see in pics of my last bike...
From your picture, I believe that that is within the range of normal for the sidestand and the lean angle looks normal also.

Uncle Hud loved this