TPMS Mounting

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

TPMS Mounting

Post by FJRoss »

I bought a TPMS off Amazon. Inexpensive, waterproof and the handlebar mounted display provides pressures, temperatures and bike voltage. Also has a fast USB charge port for phones, power banks etc. on the side. Head unit connects to the bike so no batteries. Sensors have replaceable batteries.
It arrived yesterday and I just realized that the mount won't work with the FJR handlebars. There is a screw in the end of the mount that screws into the back of the head unit - a bit like a camera tripod mount (same size thread). With the large diameter and irregular shape, I can't make their mount work on my bars - even with the rubber insert removed.
I considered "Dual Lock" to the panel that covers the battery or perhaps cutting the mount provided and securing to the bars with zip-ties. Possibly even heavy duty two-sided tape such as emblem-mounting tape.
Any other suggestions?

Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Re: TPMS Mounting

Post by Festus »

Go Pro Mount, one on the bike, one on the display? Snap it in place, take it out when you need to?
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Festus wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:11 pm Go Pro Mount, one on the bike, one on the display? Snap it in place, take it out when you need to?
That might work. I'll have to see what mounts I have. I'll still have to stick something to the bike somewhere.
I'm already using the threaded "mirror" mount for a RAM ball for my GPS or that would be a possibility. I suppose I could get a RAM "Y" or "T" but that gets messy.
Note: I corrected my post above - the thread on the TPMS mount is the same as a camera tripod mount...
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Here is what I did to the VFR, and easily done on virtually any bike.. GPS mount on the left was purchased long ago from somewhere, was on my Goldwing. I fashioned a similar mirror image one for the right handlebar...... just make yourself up a cardboard template from an old cereal box. See what angle you want to bend it back to..... EZPZ. I attached the TPMS with good old fashioned 3M molding tape.

Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Keeping it simple, I might just use double-sided trim tape or Dual Lock to mount it on the dash beside the LCD display. Would prefer it on the left but the flat area beside the tachometer is too small and the unit would interfere with the windshield arm. Also thought about mounting it to a plastic wedge (for the angle) and to the top of the brake reservoir, but the dash is simpler. Not easy to remove, but not impossible.

bigjohnsd and N4HHE loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:45 pm Here is what I did to the VFR, and easily done on virtually any bike.. GPS mount on the left was purchased long ago from somewhere, was on my Goldwing. I fashioned a similar mirror image one for the right handlebar...... just make yourself up a cardboard template from an old cereal box. See what angle you want to bend it back to..... EZPZ. I attached the TPMS with good old fashioned 3M molding tape.

I don't see exactly how that attaches. Problem with the FJR is the large diameter, triangular bar cross-section. I think I'll go with the solution I came up with, above - mounting on the flat spot beside the LCD. Just need to extend the wire lead to reach the Fuzeblock under my seat.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

See the two bolts on each side holding the clutch and brake reservoirs on...... them two bolts, pick a side.
FJRoss loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:19 pm See the two bolts on each side holding the clutch and brake reservoirs on...... them two bolts, pick a side.
I see now (a bit slow today). A decent solution as well, thanks.
Might try the stick-on approach first and see how readable it is in that location.

Edit: Reservoir screws are recessed. Did you have to go to longer ones or is there enough excess length?
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Duo Loc for the win!
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

bigjohnsd wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:42 pm Duo Loc for the win!
I have a small piece that would do. Also have 3M two-sided mounting tape. Really doesn't have to come off unless I am removing the front cowl - not even any batteries to change. Even if removing the front end, I could disconnect from the Fuzeblock.

Still considering the mount to the brake or clutch reservoir. Might be easier to read.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

I had to use longer screws..... maybe even a short spacer (a washer or two?) since the bracket is curved.
FJRoss loved this
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

How about a Ram reservoir mount (comes with longer screws), 1-2” extension, and a Ram camera ball mount (1/4x20)? This should give enough adjustability.
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

LKLD wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:25 pm How about a Ram reservoir mount (comes with longer screws), 1-2” extension, and a Ram camera ball mount (1/4x20)? This should give enough adjustability.
Unquestionably a versatile solution. Being a frugal (cheap) individual, I think I will try the stick-on solution first and Ray's bent sheet metal second if the display is too hard for me to read beside the LCD. The RAM alternative would exceed the cost for the TPMS.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I prefer Fobo, which alerts whether I’m looking at it or not. But I’ve considered one with a stand-alone display. I’d use 3m dual lock to mount it. With a thin black zip tie as a safety.
wheatonFJR loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

bill lumberg wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:29 pm I prefer Fobo, which alerts whether I’m looking at it or not. But I’ve considered one with a stand-alone display. I’d use 3m dual lock to mount it. With a thin black zip tie as a safety.
This one is hard-wired to the bike so the power cord becomes the safety lanyard - head unit doesn't weigh much. The dual lock is pretty sturdy stuff and the 3M trim tape even more so. Not worried about it going anywhere. I don't mount my phone on the bike, I don't use BT headset/earbuds and I wear foam earplugs so the only way I would get a FOBO warning is if I could feel the vibration with the phone in a shirt pocket (not likely). It would still be useful to check frequently during the day and get advance warning of a slow leak but wouldn't help with a major puncture where the air gets to danger levels quickly. The voltmeter and USB charge outlet are nice - just hope it works well and the digits are daylight readable.

I may be gone for a 2-3 weeks (other bike) so I might not get a chance to install and test before I go...
bill lumberg loved this