It's all got to go!

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
tominca
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005 ABS

It's all got to go!

Post by tominca »

After many years of riding, with an intention of serious touring, I have to face the reality I'm avoiding riding rather than looking forward to it. I have no idea what to do with this accumulation of stuff. I don't even know if all the Autocomm, Kenwood and Midland radio and communications equipmentm chargers and interfaces for GPS have a use anymore. I haven't used it in years and it's all got to go...in the trash or preferably to people that want it. The 2005 ABS FJR has been fully maintained and everything is in top condition at only 64K miles. The 2005 bike has all the "cool" mods to make it tour-worthy; cooling modifications, Penske 8983 main shock with upgraded clevis, Traxxion fork springs, Rick Mayer custom leather seats, Givi top case and rack, Clearwater Krista LED lights, Cyclops LED headlights, Warm and Safe heated gear, and a lot of stuff I don't remember. I don't plan to dismantle the improvements. I need to inventory electronics and find people interested in using it, or tossing as needed. I have been a rider, not a seller. Would appreciate ideas on where to list and what to ask.
Boston, Niehart, chazglenn3 and 3 others loved this
It's a good day to ride
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Re: It's all got to go!

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

Sorry to hear Tom. Best of luck selling everything. Beautiful bike for sure.
Bounce, El Toro Joe, and tominca loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
FredandJeannesRacer
FJRModel: 2006

Post by FredandJeannesRacer »

Been there, done that Tom.
It’s a sad day indeed.
I sold mine on craigs list fairly quick.
Had it posted here also, with a little help from my friends.
Bounce, El Toro Joe, tominca and 1 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Tom,
Im at that point right now. Cancelled the big trip I was gonna take this summer. I still remember your kindness in May of 2011 stepping up on our last full day in Kali and giving airboss and I a tour of Gold Country.

Fair winds my friend, and good luck with the sale. Please come back to the board occasionally as I may get up to PA occasionally in these next few years.
tominca loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
tominca
Veteran

Post by tominca »

Really appreciate not being given a guilt trip. It's been coming for a while. I used to travel from CA to PA regularly, and built the bike around touring. At 70, I just find other things to do that mean more. What I miss most is the great friendships built around the bike. I got hit increasingly hard by the losses of many friends and serious injuries to others. To be honest, I have hardly ridden since we lost Jason. Good friends have quietly gone before me dropping out of the riding scene, Beemerdons, Barry, ShinySideUp, MadMike2, to name a few. I'm always impressed Marty is still out there going hard, after digging out of a tick infested ditch. I want to be part of it, but I can't take a hit. I'm grateful for all the great people the FJR has brought to me, and I totally admire the ability of Tyler to still smell the roses after all she went through.
SkooterG, PhilJet09, Niehart and 12 others loved this
It's a good day to ride
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

TominPA, I understand your decision.

Honestly unless you want to strip the goodies off the FJR you'd be lucky to get 5k for it. It's an old bike and they are as common as pot holes in spring. Those farkles may help get a bit better price but sadly the used bike market is really soft now. Hopefully someone will prove me wrong.

You are better off stripping the farkles and list here,other FJR forums plus ADVrider and FBmarket place although I think your done with FB. Same with the coms. Price it to sell (cheap) or make offers.

I suspect the warm n safe to go first....good product!

Wishing you all the best from your Norcal friends.
tominca and wheatonFJR loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

Tom, I definitely understand and fairly regularly think about when I will hang it up. GLWS of your stuff. Don't be a stranger here, though.
tominca loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
RIP 1911
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Sad to hear this news Tom. I've been wondering where you've been, but understand that sometimes life takes us in other directions. We've had some great rides together...the one to Spearfish was pretty special. Stay in touch brother, we ain't that far away.
FJRPittsburgh, wheatonFJR, 0face and 2 others loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Tom, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a bummer, but we all understand. I love the old autocom stuff, but nobody uses two-way anymore even though I think it's superior. eBay is where I've picked up some the parts so that may be your best spot to sell it off. Hopefully, I'll be able to swing by and have a meal with you in the near future. Like Joe, I have a great memeories of riding out to Spearfish!
tominca, FJRPittsburgh, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
tominca
Veteran

Post by tominca »

I don't expect to get close to $5K on the bike, and would be pretty happy with 4K at this point. I'll probably dump the electronics unless someone wants if for the cost of shipping. The one thing I'll sell separately is the tire changer. Its a modified HF with No-Mar bar, helping hands and a nice wheel balance by FJReady that was a nice $80 item back in the day. https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/wheel- ... le.159171/
wheatonFJR and 0face loved this
It's a good day to ride
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

I wish I had the space... I'd buy it. I still think the '05 Blue is the best blue.
tominca loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

0face wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:48 pm I wish I had the space... I'd buy it. I still think the '05 Blue is the best blue.
Not just the best blue, but the best FJR color. Ever.
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
tominca
Veteran

Post by tominca »

0face wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:54 am Tom, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a bummer, but we all understand. I love the old autocom stuff, but nobody uses two-way anymore even though I think it's superior. eBay is where I've picked up some the parts so that may be your best spot to sell it off. Hopefully, I'll be able to swing by and have a meal with you in the near future. Like Joe, I have a great memeories of riding out to Spearfish!
You know it's time when the bike is sitting unridden for the year on June 3.
wheatonFJR loved this
It's a good day to ride
Mudslide Miller
Squid
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300ES

Post by Mudslide Miller »

Hit up Skooter. He needs another bike! :lol:
Though I don’t believe we ever met, I respect your wherewithal to know when it’s time to move on to greener pastures. GLWS Tom & your future endeavors.
wheatonFJR loved this
FredandJeannesRacer
FJRModel: 2006

Post by FredandJeannesRacer »

Although I sold both of my bikes over a year ago,
I still look through the classifieds and dream……
El Toro Joe, wheatonFJR, and FJRPittsburgh loved this