Suspension advice wanted please

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Suspension advice wanted please

Post by NTXFJR »

So I got to looking at upgrading my suspension. I've logged 58k on my stock suspenders and things are getting tired. I really notice it when traveling loaded down and the kick stand makes the bike feel like it's going to tip to the right sometimes. I've heard great things about the Penske shocks and Traxxion fork inserts, only problem is this cheap bastage as much as I can appreciate good quality stuff is choking hard on that $2K+ upgrade. I was entertaining the idea of putting Racetech springs rated for my weight in the forks along with a new heavier spring on the stock rear shock, but I'm concerned that going too heavy will not yield good results with it. Looking for any experiences and advice please. TIA!
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Re: Suspension advice wanted please

Post by extrememarine »

Opinions on this topic will vary extensively.

My experience is with Ohlins - YA707 rear and 20mm drop in cartridges with correct springs up front - aka the full monty. This set up is in it's 2nd '09 FJR. The YA707 with hydraulic remote pre-load adjustment has allowed me to adjust the bike to accommodate solo with loaded bags to 2 up with loaded bags; which prevents the rear end from sagging when loaded, retaining the handling characteristics of an unloaded bike.

It sounds like your immediate need is for a rear spring that will keep the bike's pitch (front to rear) normal or close to normal when loaded. Potentially, any aftermarket shock will get you there with the correct spring. Update the springs in the in the forks, service the forks (fluild flush) and you're probably where you want to be. Biggest investment will be the rear shock / spring.

Good luck!
Road Runner, wheatonFJR, and NTXFJR loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I'll save you some money on the front.... just upgrade the fork springs, I recommend the Traxxion kit that is totally plug and play and a good price. EZ, just give them a call. With a fork bushing/seal refresh, new oil, you are looking at a coupla hunnert or so.
I would not spend money on valving until you try out your new springs, since that's where most of the bang for the buck is.
I wouldn't fool around with the rear shock, find yourself an aftermarket properly sprung for your weight. On a budget, perhaps try a Hagon. Ohlins/Penske/RaceTech likely more money... give Cogent Dynamics a call, they'll put together what you need from those brands or their own. Remote preload is an option worth spending money on if your doing two up like Wayne says.
Steel_Gin and NTXFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Properly springing the bike for your weight / load will be a great starting point. For starters follow Wayne's great advice and go through the forks and add your choice of slightly heavier straight rate springs. At 58k miles the rear shock is tired...IMO not worth the effort to respring. You can buy a new OE shock for what, $350 ish but you'll still be left with stock spring. Stock shock can be rebuilt as well if you're so inclined.

An aftermarket shock is ultimately the way to go. I'm a big fan of Penske because they are custom built and sprung for you and are very simple to rebuild. I have Penske's on both my FJR and Tenere. I've also invested $400ish in the tools & seals to rebuild them at home. There are several other options for aftermarket shocks including the fancy gold ones. ;-)

If you're leaning towards Ohlins, I think Panman still has a good used one available priced less than half of new.

~G

Edit: Panman does have a spare Ohlins available for sale. Shoot him a PM for details.
NTXFJR loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

NTXFJR,

My 2008 came farkled with Yamaha FZ-1 fork internals, apparently a plug-and-play deal there, with maybe some attention to the the front springs to be used. I think it was GP Suspension in WA that did the job, but you can probably find the same deal in several places. If I needed a rear shock, I would either have mine rebuilt (if possible) by the manufacturer, or find a used rebuildable shock for my bike on eBay (or a similar site). Then I'd have it rebuilt by the manufacturer, again with the right spring rates for me and my bike. I'd expect the total bill to be maybe 25%~50% of all new stuff, and with very similar riding qualities out the door. I'm a low-budget rider, myself. YMMV.
NTXFJR loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
Auburn
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Auburn »

escapefjrtist wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:54 pm Properly springing the bike for your weight / load will be a great starting point. For starters follow Wayne's great advice and go through the forks and add your choice of slightly heavier straight rate springs. At 58k miles the rear shock is tired...IMO not worth the effort to respring. You can buy a new OE shock for what, $350 ish but you'll still be left with stock spring. Stock shock can be rebuilt as well if you're so inclined.

An aftermarket shock is ultimately the way to go. I'm a big fan of Penske because they are custom built and sprung for you and are very simple to rebuild. I have Penske's on both my FJR and Tenere. I've also invested $400ish in the tools & seals to rebuild them at home. There are several other options for aftermarket shocks including the fancy gold ones. ;-)

If you're leaning towards Ohlins, I think Panman still has a good used one available priced less than half of new.

~G

Edit: Panman does have a spare Ohlins available for sale. Shoot him a PM for details.
Great advice by G. The shock that Panman has is a great deal and you get the rear suspension and performance you are looking for. Suspension is one of the biggest upgrades you can do to these machines that greatly affect the ride quality.
NTXFJR and wheatonFJR loved this
get out and ride! IBA #54706
Panman
FJRModel: 2007

Post by Panman »

Yep we are connected, my big problem is I'm in AZ and won't be home till about the 10th of April.
fjray
Veteran
FJRModel: 04

Post by fjray »

I don't want to step on Panman's deal but in case somebody else needs a shock ,I have a Wilburs with remote preload that came off a 05 I parted out. It is sprung for a big guy. Other than it's clean and doesn't leak, I don't know much about it.
I also have a stock 2010 shock with very low miles that is taking up space on the shelf
NTXFJR loved this
All things are simple when approached with a simple mind.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

I had a Wilbers on my '04, with the remote preload it's a good shock. Wilbers are forever, If NTXFJR goes this direction it would be wise to ship it to Klaus Huenecke at Wilbers and have it rebuilt. I had to have my rear shock rebuilt at ~50k-60k miles. :shock: Will a Gen I shock fit a Gen III FJR?

As previously mentioned, go with straight rate front springs.
NTXFJR loved this
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

ionbeam wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:51 am I had a Wilbers on my '04, with the remote preload it's a good shock. Wilbers are forever, If NTXFJR goes this direction it would be wise to ship it to Klaus Huenecke at Wilbers and have it rebuilt. I had to have my rear shock rebuilt at ~50k-60k miles. :shock: Will a Gen I shock fit a Gen III FJR?

As previously mentioned, go with straight rate front springs.
They list the Gen 1 and 2 years separately so I'm assuming there are some differences in them.
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
fjray
Veteran

Post by fjray »

Just for information. I have a Penske off of a 06 on my 04 and it's a direct swap.
wheatonFJR and NTXFJR loved this
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

The fiche shows the entire shock assembly including the preload adjuster. If Yamaha changed the length of the preload cables the P/N would change even though the shock may remain the same. Since a Gen I aftermarket shock comes with its own preload system it may well fit. What we would need verifiy is the length of the OEM shock, the width of the bottom mount and the hole location.

Hmm, I believe I still have a Gen I shock (Radman's) that I used when I sent my Wilbers out for a rebuild. If you think you may go the Wilbers route I can see if I can find it and take some measurements.

Edit: I see fjray was posting important information while I was typing.
NTXFJR loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Craig - from one cheap bastage to another, I opted for the Hagon shock, and at about $535.00 shipped about 20K miles ago, I'm not disappointed. They will spring it to your needs, comes with a hydraulic preload adjuster, and it's rebuildable. You are dealing with England, and the money conversion issue, but my c/c company handle that with minimal fee (like $3 bucks or something).
NTXFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

All FJR shocks are interchangeable (except ES of course) regardless of Gen1/2/3. Most all aftermarket shocks can be rebuilt as seal sizes and shafts are common among brands. Nevertheless, going with the manufacturer's stuff is best. My local Yamaha dealer is into powersports suspensions and claims to be able to rebuild most any. I have a suspension shop 3 hours from here who says same.
A buddy just ordered a Hagon for his CBF1000, it came from Italy. Looks like a nice piece, I installed it for him. Did not get the remote preload option, which in this case is OK since he will be one-up only.
NTXFJR loved this
fjray
Veteran

Post by fjray »

Hppants wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:17 pm Craig - from one cheap bastage to another, I opted for the Hagon shock, and at about $535.00 shipped about 20K miles ago, I'm not disappointed. They will spring it to your needs, comes with a hydraulic preload adjuster, and it's rebuildable. You are dealing with England, and the money conversion issue, but my c/c company handle that with minimal fee (like $3 bucks or something).
I installed the Hagon shock on a 13 for Gregory in the other cat box and he really likes it. :)
NTXFJR loved this
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X2, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Post by SkooterG »

I can't remember exactly, so somebody edumecate me. What were the differences in the rear swingarm going from Gen I to Gen II+? I thought the rear swingarm was 'lengthened' or something like that. Did wheelbase change? I thought that because of those changes it was not 'ideal' to swap Gen I and Gen II+ shocks, though it can be done and has been done many a time with good results.

Edit: A quick search shows that Gen II+ swingarm was lengthened 1.5" As far as I can tell, wheelbase remained the same. So did changes in the swingarm change suspension mounting points/geometry just a little so that installing a shock for a Gen I on to a Gen II+ is not ideal?

Edit #2: Wheelbase from 2005 to 2006 increased from 59.6" to 60.8".

I believe the consensus back in the day was that due to these changes it was not ideal to put a shock designed for a Gen I onto a Gen II+.
Last edited by SkooterG on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheatonFJR loved this
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR -- '09 FJR -- '13 FJR -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES - What can I say? I have issues!
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Longer swingarm. Shock can be the same but you might want to put a heftier spring on it for Gen II+.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Correct, the Gen1 wheelbase is 59.6" and Gen2/3/4 is 60.8. Same relay arm used throughout, same eye to eye shock length. The main differences in shocks were the springs rates of the two springs in series.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

My A suspension was still great at 80,000 miles of hard use. My Es still performs very well at 60,000 miles plus. Neither was really sprung for full gear and wife in the twisties, though they were/are fine with wife and full gear on sweepers, like the skyway. But rider plus gear plus twisties- good to go, even at higher mileage, no matter how aggressive the curves Great handling when adjusted properly, both A and ES.

The A needed to be dialed up toward the high end to perform well in the hills. The ES is no different. I weigh 180, but with a topcase and a bit of armor, the bike generally feels best at the 2 rider setting for all around riding, and needs to be set for two plus luggage say, for a ride across Deal’s gap.

If I had another A, I’d have it resprung by traxxion, since they are right here, just to make it more capable with the wife when we are in the tight stuff.
NTXFJR, raYzerman, Cav47 and 1 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

I have Racetech 1 or 1.1k springs in my forks with Racetech Gold Valves. My guy at BobbyJ's Yamaha installed them and they ROCK!

I have a Wilbers off of a Gen1 installed in the rear. That was rebuilt and resprung for my weight and it is awesome. The reservoir block had to be rotated because it would have interfered with the ABS block on my '07. Klaus specifically stated that the Wilbers are better than the others because the Wilbers is steel construction compared to aluminum.

If I were you, I'd call Racetech and then SacMike. I love my Wilbers and it was rebuilt/resprung by Velocity Cycles, here in Albuquerque. Its an easy job and cheap!
NTXFJR loved this