What the heck, let's talk tire pressure....

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: What the heck, let's talk tire pressure....

Post by raYzerman »

The standard trailer tires normally are to be blown up to 50 psi, I suspect he's on the low side..........
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:07 pm ...trailer tires normally are to be blown up....
Poor choice of words? :lol:
wheatonFJR loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

ionbeam wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:57 pm
And, here is the space for FJRoss to correct/add to/ridicule my post: :) Begin:
:lol:

I think you got it pretty well nailed! Dry air/nitrogen etc. is definitely the key!
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

Nitrogen in tires is bullshit. I bought my 2016 F250 on a Saturday. The finance guy went on and on about how all their tires are filled with nitrogen and how if I ever had a low tire or flat, I could take it back to the dealership for a free refill. They would ensure my tires are 100% nitrogen filled, because its SO awesome. He explained how nitrogen molecules are larger, so don't pass through the small pores in the rubber tire.

Well, on Tuesday, 3 days after I bought the truck, the low pressure light came on. I filled the tires to 65PSI from my compressor and have never had a low pressure warning since. That was 2 years ago. Obviously, I check them every couple weeks, but they've never fluctuated by more than 3psi.

Still, if it makes you feel better, remember that air is 78.09% nitrogen. Just overinflate your tires by 22%. When they come back down, all the Oxygen, Argon, and CO2 and trace gases should have leaked out and the remaining gas should be 99.9% nitrogen. Easy, if you believe in fairytales.

https://youtu.be/bCnWvMleVD0
philharmonic and wheatonFJR loved this
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

ionbeam wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:40 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:32 pm Well, tires have two three values, recommended COLD temp, weight rating, and speed rating.

My guess would be that your friend may exceed one of these values.

There are also external factors for your friend:
Driving on pot hole filled roads,
Driving on roads containing steel shards or other construction debris,
Satanic Cult and/or Voodoo colony members constantly cursing his car tires
Buying from Pete's Used Tars to save some money
Well, tires have two three values, recommended COLD temp, weight rating, and speed rating. And date code. Old tires, old ≠ good.

Do any of the trailers have brakes, either surge or electric? Do the wheels turn freely when jacked up? Boat trailers are hard on bearings if they aren't properly sealed. You probably don't know how the trailers are setup but he is doing something wrong.

We have pulled horse trailers for >100k miles and never had a flat or blow-out. We have a utility trailer and it has never had a flat or blow out but if I don't put new tires on it soon it's going to be risky, they are starting to grow cracks.
Oh, it's not one trailer. This has probably been about 10-15 different trailers over the years. Big stuff too. 5th wheel or slightly smaller. My suspicion has always been that he's reading some number on a tire and filling it to that, which I say it incorrect. It's been my uneducated, unprofessional opinion that you can't just slap a tire on something and fill it to the max PSI on the tire. In order to use the tire correctly, you'd need to factor in the weight of what's sitting on the tires and that's something I don't think he's ever done. I do know for a fact that he fills the tires to the max PSI setting, and always has.

He's spent big money on the most expensive trailer tires they sold, and been told by people that they use cheap tires and never have an issue. He's tried low quality, medium quality, and high quality, and all of them suffer the same fate. I've almost bought him a tire pressure monitor system a couple of times just so I don't have to take the calls or hear the stories again. Honestly, it's a running joke with everyone that knows him when he says he's going somewhere fishing or camping. The first question is always "Got your new tires yet?".

I've watching him have brand new tires installed on Friday and blow one out on Saturday or Sunday more times than I can count. As I mentioned, my personal belief is to stop filling it to the spec of the tire and calculate what it should be with that load on it. But what do I know? Other than I've never once blown a trailer tire either.
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

FJRoss wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:32 pm
I think you got it pretty well nailed! Dry air/nitrogen etc. is definitely the key!
More your area of expertise, chemicals and gases and other arcane mysteries.

HotRodZilla wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:01 pm Nitrogen in tires is bullshit...He explained how nitrogen molecules are larger, so don't pass through the small pores in the rubber tire...
Nitrogen isn't bullshit, the guy that explained it is full of bullshit. Nitrogen isn't necessary for anything on the street, but racers and aircraft manufacturers do get some real befits. Nitrogen does work but not for the silly-ass reason you were given. If you had to pay for nitrogen you shouldn't, for a street vehicle it is worthless. If it is free, it doesn't hurt, especially if it shuts up the nut erroneously espousing its goodness.
HotRodZilla and wheatonFJR loved this
HotRodZilla
Veteran

Post by HotRodZilla »

ionbeam wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:28 pm
FJRoss wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:32 pm
More your area of expertise, chemicals and gases and other arcane mysteries.

HotRodZilla wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:01 pm Nitrogen in tires is bullshit...He explained how nitrogen molecules are larger, so don't pass through the small pores in the rubber tire...
Nitrogen isn't bullshit, the guy that explained it is full of bullshit. Nitrogen isn't necessary for anything on the street, but racers and aircraft manufacturers do get some real befits. Nitrogen does work but not for the silly-ass reason you were given. If you had to pay for nitrogen you shouldn't, for a street vehicle it is worthless. If it is free, it doesn't hurt, especially if it shuts up the nut erroneously espousing its goodness.
Haha...I know aircraft and racecars use nitrogen. I also know that you are correct: For certain applications, I'm sure its the best thing out there. For car tires, not such a magic bullet. ESPECIALLY when the people pushing it have no idea what they're talking about, like that finance guy. I'm surprised the look on my face didn't just cause him to stop talking, cuz my BS meter was pegged and I wasn't shy about it. Lol...
ionbeam and wheatonFJR loved this
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

I can’t believe I just read this thread.

Less words more pictures people.
Redfish loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

0face wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:59 pm I can’t believe I just read this thread.

Less words more pictures people.
Yeah? Tire pictures...really?
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Here's my picture of nitrogen.... hope you like it...... >>>>>
Redfish, HotRodZilla, and John d loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by silverback »

Nitrogen in aircraft tires is because of the drop in pressure at altitude. Nitrogen has a lower gas constant than air (water vapor inclusive) so it doesn't blow out the tires at 30k, which makes for a noisy landing and lots of Facebook posts.

Nitrogen is used in race cars because they use it in jets and jets are faster than cars. Wishful thinking.

And...fwiw...bullshit is mostly methane. Very little nitrogen. JSNS
wheatonFJR loved this
There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:18 pm Here's my picture of nitrogen.... hope you like it...... >>>>>

Very clear!
HotRodZilla
Veteran

Post by HotRodZilla »

Dammit! I always forget I'm posting in the presence of geniuses!
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Re: RE: Re: What the heck, let's talk tire pressure....

Post by silverback »

HotRodZilla wrote:Dammit! I always forget I'm posting in the presence of geniuses!
One tends to resemble the company they keep.

Pretty soon you'll be drinking craft beer and have a pocket protector.
There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
HotRodZilla
Veteran

Post by HotRodZilla »

silverback wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:45 pm
HotRodZilla wrote:Dammit! I always forget I'm posting in the presence of geniuses!

Except I work with a bunch of dipshits, so basically, I'm doomed. Maybe I'll get that pocket protector, just so I can pretend.
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

We used nitrogen in our car tires in Fairbanks. We had a heated garage that we had to keep at 55* f because it had an oil burning furnace. The temperature hit -45* occasionally and was often in the -30s. A rapid 80 to 100 degree change in temperature would cause havoc with the tire pressure monitoring system on our 4-Runner. In those days a dealer had to reset the fault code and they were busy doing it for many customers. They started putting nitrogen in cars they sold and/or serviced... problem solved
wheatonFJR loved this
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

I run 42/42 and change my own tires. Check them weekly while on long rides or before every ride when riding around home . The pressure rarely varies much. I can go all winter sitting in the garage with seeing a 10% change. Air them up at anytime they see 40 or less. JSNS.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

HotRodZilla wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:53 pm
silverback wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Except I work with a bunch of dipshits, so basically, I'm doomed. Maybe I'll get that pocket protector, just so I can pretend.
I think you already got that...but it doesn't just protect your pockets...it protects the rest of you as well.
Air pressure...anybody know anything about tire air pressure? (Besides PV = nRT??)
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

ionbeam wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:57 pm Tires filled with nitrogen will have a more stable tire pressure. A compressor with an air dryer will also allow stable tire pressures. Nitrogen is a 'dry' gas. Compressed air will have a lot of moisture entrained unless a dryer/desiccator is used. It is the moisture which contributes to tire pressure variation.
Interesting. I have a dryer in a box somewhere for my lame attempts at painting motorcycles. I might have to hook it up permanently.
HotRodZilla wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:53 pm Except I work with a bunch of dipshits, so basically, I'm doomed. Maybe I'll get that pocket protector, just so I can pretend.
Does it work that way? Or are they that way because they work with you?
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Go all out: get a small inline desiccant dryer; rig it up with some air fittings, a release valve & a pressure gauge; toss it under the seat. Use it every time you add air at home or on the road. Seems to me we'd be reaping all the "benefits" of nitrogen without all the harmful effects of "normal" air. I pretty sure that's just one way to solve this imaginary "problem".
wheatonFJR loved this