What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Re: RE: Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by silverback »

NTXFJR wrote:
silverback wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 am Rode mine to work.

Had to show a Hyabusa how much less acceleration an FJR has. Representin'.
My bil has a busa and just couldn’t resist bragging how fast his bike was. He talked me into lining up on a nice straight stretch of back road and I showed him what a feej could do up to 130 with me on it. Yeah, I let him win. He did comment that he was impressed with my bike that it was no slouch. Funny how he slowed waaay down in the curves though, I had no issues staying ahead of him then.
I have seen Busas try to take curves. They don't do well. I guess they are too heavy and the geometry isn't right. That or the riders are not accustomed to leaning hard into corners. A guy with a VMax once told me traction control coming out of the corner was a worse issue than its poor handling in the corners. I have wondered if that is the case with busas.

At any rate, I am sure the 16" extention to the swing arm doesn't help handling either.
There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
silverback
Veteran

Post by silverback »

bungie4 wrote:If their anything better than new tires on your bike!?
No, but a good road to scuff them in comes at a close second!
--BikerGeek
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by gixxerjasen »

bungie4 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:15 am If their anything better than new tires on your bike!?
Pretty certain Cav47 covered this a few posts back...
Cav47 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:52 pm boobs pushing on my back.
Redfish, fontanaman, and Cav47 loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

gixxerjasen wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:50 am
bungie4 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:15 am If their anything better than new tires on your bike!?
Teach your wife to ride. It'll change your mind about that arrangement.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:50 am
Unless it's manboobs from a certain Georgia rider getting a ride back to the hotel...
(is that your key ring or are you just happy to see me)
Cav47 loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

silverback wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:32 am
No, but a good road to scuff them in comes at a close second!
Amen!
and Amen!
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Well, I decided to do my traditional midsummer “pull the MCL peg lowering brackets and ride it stock for two days before putting them back on because it sucks without them”. With almost 75,000 miles, I planned to replace the worn peg rubbers with the new ones I’ve had for a year and a half. I’m tough on grips and pegs, so both aesthetically and vibration wise, putting them on could only be good.

Pulling the pegs, removing the lowering brackets, and switching the brake and shifter levers to the stock position takes only minutes, including using silicon spray and blue shop paper towels to clean everything involved.

One f@$king screw, holding one peg rubber on (the other three were fine), took me an hour, three screwdrivers, four screwdriver bits, two beers, a hammer, and repeated use of a blowtorch to remove. I shit you not. :)
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
griff
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by griff »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:15 pm One f@$king screw, holding one peg rubber on (the other three were fine), took me an hour, three screwdrivers, four screwdriver bits, two beers, a hammer, and repeated use of a blowtorch to remove. I shit you not. :)
I have a little hand held impact driver that works wonders on those foot peg screws.
wheatonFJR and bill lumberg loved this
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Post by PhilJet09 »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:15 pm
One f@$king screw, holding one peg rubber on (the other three were fine), took me an hour, three screwdrivers, four screwdriver bits, two beers, a hammer, and repeated use of a blowtorch to remove. I shit you not. :)
Uncle Hud, Redfish, LKLD and 6 others loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran

Post by PhilJet09 »

Installed and programmed a new timer for my aux tank fuel pump.

The original timer had an interesting failure mode. I have a switch on my left handle bar that energizes a relay that powers the electric pump. The timer is wired between the switch and relay and was programmed to shut off after a determined amount of time, because I’m forgetful and easily distracted. When I originally wired this setup, I made a provision to bypass the timer (in case the magic pixies escaped the tiny little circuit board and let the smoke out) and allow me to use the switch to directly activate the pump relay. Turns out when the timer failed, it still let the switch activate the relay, it just wouldnt shut off when the time was up. I tried reprogramming it with no luck. Must have fried just that chip on the board.

Anyway, new timer installed, programmed and ops checked.
LKLD loved this

Calm is a skill.
RacinRay
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES 2011 Triumph Speed Triple

Post by RacinRay »

I just received my free set of Dunlop Roadsmart III tires!! Courtesy of America Flat Track. Won 'em at the New York Short Track event in Weedsport.
Uncle Hud, LKLD, gixxerjasen and 2 others loved this
The dildo of consequences never arrives lubed.
silverback
Veteran

Post by silverback »

PhilJet09 wrote:Installed and programmed a new timer for my aux tank fuel pump.

The original timer had an interesting failure mode. I have a switch on my left handle bar that energizes a relay that powers the electric pump. The timer is wired between the switch and relay and was programmed to shut off after a determined amount of time, because I’m forgetful and easily distracted. When I originally wired this setup, I made a provision to bypass the timer (in case the magic pixies escaped the tiny little circuit board and let the smoke out) and allow me to use the switch to directly activate the pump relay. Turns out when the timer failed, it still let the switch activate the relay, it just wouldnt shut off when the time was up. I tried reprogramming it with no luck. Must have fried just that chip on the board.

Programming a fuel transfer relay circuit? Interesting.

I bow to your ubernerd ways.
wheatonFJR loved this
--BikerGeek
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran

Post by PhilJet09 »

silverback wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:47 am
PhilJet09 wrote:Installed and programmed a new timer for my aux tank fuel pump.

Programming a fuel transfer relay circuit? Interesting.

I bow to your ubernerd ways.
Thanks, but don’t give me more credit than I deserve. I picked up this postage stamp size timer on amazon and watched YouTube videos to learn how to program it. I can barely use the basic functions of a multi meter. :D
wheatonFJR loved this

Calm is a skill.
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

PhilJet09 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:30 amThanks, but don’t give me more credit than I deserve. I picked up this postage stamp size timer on amazon and watched YouTube videos to learn how to program it. I can barely use the basic functions of a multi meter. :D
PhilJet09,

Thinking outside the box, initiative, learning, effort, good deployment and success will all gain credit around here.
Beats the $#!+ out of those who would say "Well, I can't do that . . ."

Kudos, my friend. Deal with it. :lol:
PhilJet09 and wheatonFJR loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

No, absolutley nothing better...

Fresh pair of RS3s sitting in the garage patiently waiting for the FJR to return and be put on for September...

Sent from the Tapatalk app...

bungie4 loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

extrememarine wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:09 pm
I'd say two properly working ankles and a doctor's clearance to ride would be better than that. How much longer for you?
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:54 pm
extrememarine wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:09 pm
I'd say two properly working ankles and a doctor's clearance to ride would be better than that. How much longer for you?
If it's the psychiatrist...it'll be a good while.
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

Yeah. Yeah there is. But if we are limiting this to a Motorcycle Discussion new tires are great.

You know what's better than new tires on an Old Bike? New Tires on a New Bike. And I am going to have that feeling tomorrow.

Today I had great fun with the old tires on my FJR. Because there are not many things better than an FJR.
wheatonFJR and bungie4 loved this
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Rode it to work, again.

But wait! There's more!

We had a customer call in this morning after realizing they'd sent in some mounting pins with the hydraulic cylinders they'd sent us for rebuild and they now need those pins to mount the spare cylinders they had to get a crane up and running, They needed them TODAY! Was there any way possible to get 4 pins to Canada today? They were willing to meet a truck at Niagara Falls on the US side. As a coworker who handles our trucking made calls I inquired as to just how big are these 4 pins? Sometimes they are over 36" length and weigh over a hundred pounds a piece so me hauling them on the FJR would be out of the question. These are under 10" length and weigh about 10-12 pounds each. The quotes for a "hotshot" truck were coming in at over $1000 and I jokingly offered to ride up to Niagara Falls and meet their truck. More calls and it's decided they can get pins from one of their other shops in Western PA and if we could just get these 4 to West Elizabeth, PA that would work but again it had to happen TODAY. Bosses agreed it made sense for me to deliver them instead of sending them with a trucking company who would bill the customer $650. So I got a nice 421 mile ride in on the clock and will be paid .55 per mile while still on the clock and getting 3 hours of overtime by the time I made it back to work to clock out. So, basically my employer just paid for my next pair of tires! Score! Oh, and day 488 consecutive ride.
Uncle Hud, Harald, John d and 4 others loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran

Post by PhilJet09 »

BkerChuck wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:29 pm Rode it to work, again.

But wait! There's more!

We had a customer call in this morning after realizing they'd sent in some mounting pins with the hydraulic cylinders they'd sent us for rebuild and they now need those pins to mount the spare cylinders they had to get a crane up and running, They needed them TODAY! Was there any way possible to get 4 pins to Canada today? They were willing to meet a truck at Niagara Falls on the US side. As a coworker who handles our trucking made calls I inquired as to just how big are these 4 pins? Sometimes they are over 36" length and weigh over a hundred pounds a piece so me hauling them on the FJR would be out of the question. These are under 10" length and weigh about 10-12 pounds each. The quotes for a "hotshot" truck were coming in at over $1000 and I jokingly offered to ride up to Niagara Falls and meet their truck. More calls and it's decided they can get pins from one of their other shops in Western PA and if we could just get these 4 to West Elizabeth, PA that would work but again it had to happen TODAY. Bosses agreed it made sense for me to deliver them instead of sending them with a trucking company who would bill the customer $650. So I got a nice 421 mile ride in on the clock and will be paid .55 per mile while still on the clock and getting 3 hours of overtime by the time I made it back to work to clock out. So, basically my employer just paid for my next pair of tires! Score! Oh, and day 488 consecutive ride.

Years ago when I worked for an air charter company, we made our living off situations like this. Of course, it meant I was getting called out to fly at all hours of the day, but it was fun.

Calm is a skill.