Jolene, Jolene, Jolene...

Our rides evolve - keep track of yours here.
Viper_Dad
FJRModel: 2013

Re: Jolene, Jolene, Jolene...

Post by Viper_Dad »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:51 pm "Don't know how to drain the radiator or check the valves. I think I'll split her open and fix the transmission."
NAILED IT! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
gixxerjasen loved this
2013 - "Jolene"
Peter
Viper_Dad

Post by Viper_Dad »

Festus wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:34 pm
This image looks the most frightening to me.
2013 - "Jolene"
Peter
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

Following along....I don't know if I could do this, and I know how to drain the coolant. Lol.

Also, for Jasen: https://youtu.be/IW25foOMkwI
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Man, Steve, you're not wasting any time!

I had the exterminator out right after you left. His professional opinion, was that the "gator(s)" are coming in through a small opening at the bottom corner of the garage door, and not in the house. He set some traps outside and inside the garage.
Wanting to be extra careful, I put my own defense system into place (see below).

I recently saw a news item, where there's a class action lawsuit against Toyota, saying they were using soy based insulators for their wiring harnesses. Customers are saying rodents are eating away at the wires in their engine compartments. I'm not saying that's the case here, but who knows?

Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Curious, could this kind of damage be covered under either Comprehensive insurance, or your homeowners insurance?
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

I did have a talk with Jolene tonight. I patted her on the headstock and promised her it would be alright. I told her “hang in there girl, not much longer”. She heard me. She’s come apart so easy. Not one stuck bolt, not one plug that didn’t come undone when pressed. She wants to be healthy again.

Viper Dad, you keep it up and I’m not going to left you help me lift the engine 😁

(Viper Dad is supposed to help me Saturday morning)

Rob, I have to work fast, I’m old enough that I’ll forget it all shortly!

I often think about your garage full of bikes and hope that they are safe from the alligators. The damage they did to Jolene terrifies me from a rider standpoint. I could see it kicking random throttle codes because of voltage issues because so few wires remain.

Hopefully you catch the little bastards.
Uncle Hud loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

Final drive you'e good. Remove the entire left footpeg/kickstand assembly. Remove clutch slave from engine, leave the line attached. I'd leave the clutch for now. Not sure you'll have to remove it later, but I doubt it.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:25 pm Final drive you'e good. Remove the entire left footpeg/kickstand assembly. Remove clutch slave from engine, leave the line attached. I'd leave the clutch for now. Not sure you'll have to remove it later, but I doubt it.
Thanks Ray! Clutch slave is off! I think it’s kickstand, then the engine comes out.

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Viper_Dad

Post by Viper_Dad »

LKLD I have two questions... could your 2016 be any prettier? And is that a real snake?!
2013 - "Jolene"
Peter
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Viper_Dad wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:03 am And is that a real snake?!
Surely someone with the name "VIPER_dad" isn't scared of a snake. ;)
Viper_Dad, Festus, and wheatonFJR loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

So, seems to me the little viper was after whatever rodent chewed up the wiring............
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

LKLD wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:12 pm Man, Steve, you're not wasting any time!

I had the exterminator out right after you left. His professional opinion, was that the "gator(s)" are coming in through a small opening at the bottom corner of the garage door, and not in the house. He set some traps outside and inside the garage.
Wanting to be extra careful, I put my own defense system into place (see below).

I recently saw a news item, where there's a class action lawsuit against Toyota, saying they were using soy based insulators for their wiring harnesses. Customers are saying rodents are eating away at the wires in their engine compartments. I'm not saying that's the case here, but who knows?

Rob

You better take Marie's bike a part and check the wiring on it! That little critter looked busy.

Funny, I started feeding a stray cat a few years ago. Took her to the county and had her shots and fixed. Cost me $45 and I haven't seen a mouse since.
LKLD, Steel_Gin, and wheatonFJR loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

From my recollection of disassembling a gen 1 motor, if Festus is only doing transmission work, he can split the case from the bottom and not have to take off the cylinder head, pistons, etc - correct? If so, that I suppose removing the throttle bodies was to make room to get the engine out of the chassis?

Also, does it appear that each electrical connector is unique and at least somewhat different? In other words, do they make it such that you can't plug the wrong harness connector into the wrong sensor (or input)?

I've seen this movie before. What is it that compels rodents to specifically target electrical wiring? It would seem to me that there are far easier things to make nest material out of on the bike.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

Hppants wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 am From my recollection of disassembling a gen 1 motor, if Festus is only doing transmission work, he can split the case from the bottom and not have to take off the cylinder head, pistons, etc - correct? If so, that I suppose removing the throttle bodies was to make room to get the engine out of the chassis?

Also, does it appear that each electrical connector is unique and at least somewhat different? In other words, do they make it such that you can't plug the wrong harness connector into the wrong sensor (or input)?

I've seen this movie before. What is it that compels rodents to specifically target electrical wiring? It would seem to me that there are far easier things to make nest material out of on the bike.
I hope you are correct, I'm not planning on taking any of that apart :) I'm flipping it upside down, taking the oil pan off, and then splitting the case.

Yes, every plug is unique, for that location. For example, the wires are only long enough for it to reach one possible mating connector in that area, with a few exceptions, like the coils. That's why it's all seemed so easy to this point. I had planned on taking photos and doing a detailed tutorial, but all I'm doing is following the manual.

I think I have about 5 hours or so in it to this point. Could have knocked an hour or two off if I had done it before. The radiator took more time than most anything else. Probably took me any hour to get that off. Shouldn't have, but it did.
wheatonFJR loved this

Viper_Dad

Post by Viper_Dad »

gixxerjasen wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:43 am
Viper_Dad wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:03 am And is that a real snake?!
Surely someone with the name "VIPER_dad" isn't scared of a snake. ;)
Quite the opposite: For the first 15 years of my life I wanted to be a herpetologist. I think snakes are fascinating! I'm just trying to figure out how LKLD trained his to live in the garage. Do you think it comes when he calls?
LKLD, wheatonFJR, and gixxerjasen loved this
2013 - "Jolene"
Peter
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

LKLD's snake is named "Viper Kid".
LKLD and Viper_Dad loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

danh600 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:37 am
LKLD wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:12 pm Man, Steve, you're not wasting any time!

Rob

You better take Marie's bike a part and check the wiring on it! That little critter looked busy.

Funny, I started feeding a stray cat a few years ago. Took her to the county and had her shots and fixed. Cost me $45 and I haven't seen a mouse since.
I am not a cat person and had a new neighbor move in next door with their cat a few years ago. Had several chipmunks and a mouse here an there, thankfully none of which were in my house but seen a couple in the garage. Ever since that cat moved in the population took a dramatic hit, I love cats that earn their keep!!
Viper_Dad

Post by Viper_Dad »

deang wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:26 pm I am not a cat person...
Sorry dude. You're a cat person. :lol:
Steel_Gin loved this
2013 - "Jolene"
Peter
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Mice like plastic to chew on, or just about anything. They'll strip bark of a tree too, as I found out here one winter (the tree was down).
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Viper_Dad wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:03 am LKLD I have two questions... could your 2016 be any prettier? And is that a real snake?!
Lol, no on both accounts.
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド